What's new

Netgear X4S (R7800) Guest Wifi Problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AntonK

Very Senior Member
Hi,

I'm using Voxel's latest firmware on the above-mentioned Router. My 2.4 and 5GHZ wifi bands work fine with all my devices (Android and IOS). But when I turn on 2.4 and 5GHz Guest wifi, things don't work so well. My devices can connect to the Guest wifi on either band, but neither of the Guest bands have Internet connections.

Does anyone know what could cause this?

Thanks,
Anton

Hi,

I'm using Voxel's latest firmware on the above-mentioned Router. My 2.4 and 5GHZ wifi bands work fine with all my devices (Android and IOS). But when I turn on 2.4 and 5GHz Guest wifi, things don't work so well. My devices can connect to the Guest wifi on either band, but neither of the Guest bands have Internet connections.

Does anyone know what could cause this?

Thanks,
Anton
Did you do a hard reset after upgrading to it, normally you should not have to if this is your first upgrade from stock but sometimes it can help. I don't know how long you have been using Voxels firmware though. I know this sounds silly but the guest networks are 'enabled' in settings? :)

Did you do a hard reset after upgrading to it, normally you should not have to if this is your first upgrade from stock but sometimes it can help. I don't know how long you have been using Voxels firmware though. I know this sounds silly but the guest networks are 'enabled' in settings? :)

Thanks. Yes, they are enabled, and this is an upgrade from a previous voxel version. But this is the first time I enabled the guest WiFi. Devices connect to the guest WiFi no problem, it's just that the guest WiFi bands have no internet connection, where as the non-guest WiFi bands do! Weird!

But this is the first time I enabled the guest WiFi. Devices connect to the guest WiFi no problem, it's just that the guest WiFi bands have no internet connection, where as the non-guest WiFi bands do! Weird!

Hmm, I never tried to enable guest. I'll check. Is the same with stock 1.0.2.38?

Voxel.

That's my problem too, I haven't tried to enable guest wifi until just now (thinking that it might be handy when we have people over at Christmas).

On another note, thanks very much for your great and reliable firmware! Everything about my router works perfectly, and at full speed.

Anton.

That's my problem too, I haven't tried to enable guest wifi until just now (thinking that it might be handy when we have people over at Christmas).

On another note, thanks very much for your great and reliable firmware! Everything about my router works perfectly, and at full speed.

Anton.

Anton, I'd like to ask you to check the speed with new 43SF. e38BimmerFN signaled some problems:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-43sf.42683/#post-364389

To check with speedtest from WebGUI and from any other client. You have ISP speed close to e38BimmerFN

Thank you in advance,
Voxel.

Anton, I'd like to ask you to check the speed with new 43SF. e38BimmerFN signaled some problems:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-43sf.42683/#post-364389

To check with speedtest from WebGUI and from any other client. You have ISP speed close to e38BimmerFN

Thank you in advance,
Voxel.

Hi Voxel. My pleasure...

I'm attaching a screenshot of Speedtest from within your latest firmware's WebGUI, and and OOKLA speedtest from my Firefox browser. I'm on a cable connection in North America, and have a connection rated at 200mbps down/35mbps up.

Attachments

• Firmware WebGUI.jpg
    Firmware WebGUI.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 570
  • Firefox Quantum.jpg
    Firefox Quantum.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 374
OK, thank you. As far as I understand your client with Firefox is attached to router? I.e. no degradation for clients? Ookla from GUI has own problems with accuracy.

Voxel.

OK, thank you. As far as I understand your client with Firefox is attached to router? I.e. no degradation for clients? Ookla from GUI has own problems with accuracy.

Voxel.

Yes, I used Firefox on my Desktop, which is attached to the router via Ethernet cable.

Guest network working fine for me on stock 1.0.2.38

I took Voxel's concerns in mind, and thus installed the Stock Firmware .40 I reset my router and rebuilt it. My guest networks are working fine now, and all else seems stable.

I took Voxel's concerns in mind, and thus installed the Stock Firmware .40 I reset my router and rebuilt it. My guest networks are working fine now, and all else seems stable.
Did you have any issues with that server error. I’m wondering now if it’s an Apple/Mac issue introduced with 1.0.2.40 as 1.0.2.38 works fine. :(

Did you have any issues with that server error. I’m wondering now if it’s an Apple/Mac issue introduced with 1.0.2.40 as 1.0.2.38 works fine. :(

Scratch my last post. I've still got no Guest Wifi access. I'm starting to think that this has something to do with the fact that I turn off DHCP on my router, because I need DHCP handled by my firewall device (CUJO). But I don't have enough networking tech knowledge to understand why that might be.

Scratch my last post. I've still got no Guest Wifi access. I'm starting to think that this has something to do with the fact that I turn off DHCP on my router, because I need DHCP handled by my firewall device (CUJO). But I don't have enough networking tech knowledge to understand why that might be.

FYI. Submitted a ticket to CUJO Support and received the following response:

"CUJO is protecting on a single subnet (It's own DHCP server address pool) and Guest WiFi is unavailable.

We are sorry for the inconveniences caused."​

FYI. Submitted a ticket to CUJO Support and received the following response:

"CUJO is protecting on a single subnet (It's own DHCP server address pool) and Guest WiFi is unavailable.

We are sorry for the inconveniences caused."​
Probably it is really something with this:

I'm starting to think that this has something to do with the fact that I turn off DHCP on my router, because I need DHCP handled by my firewall device (CUJO). But I don't have enough networking tech knowledge to understand why that might be.

because I tried to enable guest in both my R7800 (router and AP mode, 1.0.2.43SF). I see NETGEAR-Guest and NETGEAR-5G-Guest. Both are working, when I connect devices to any of them, I can reach Internet sites. Default settings, Security Options:

(*) None

Do you use some security options for Guest networks?

Voxel.

Probably it is really something with this:

because I tried to enable guest in both my R7800 (router and AP mode, 1.0.2.43SF). I see NETGEAR-Guest and NETGEAR-5G-Guest. Both are working, when I connect devices to any of them, I can reach Internet sites. Default settings, Security Options:

(*) None

Do you use some security options for Guest networks?

Voxel.

Yes, it's the Cujo firewall . See their response to my question posted above. So my lack of the guest WiFi functionality has nothing to do any firmware.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!