What's new

NetUSB vulnerability on official Asus Firmware (RT and DSL Versions)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This_Number_22

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm posting about this here as I can't find extended answer to my question anywhere and yes, I found an old answer regarding this question from 2015 and it lacks a lot of context and I'm not confident about it, also many things could have changed since then.

Since NetUSB vulnerability have resurfaced once again, my first question is does ANY Asus router either it being a RT or DSL version contain this component within its official firmware from Asus ? I tried to dig deep in Google but literally there wasn't anything about it on the Asus side.

My second and last question would be if Asus routers don't use NetUSB component/kernel drivers for handling USB Ports, what other component does it ? @RMerlin can you please assist if you don't mind ?

I appreciate any input.
Thanks

Asus routers don't use NetUSB as they don't provide any of those sorts of functions. The only similar function would be USB printer support which is provided by Asus' own u2ec.

Asus routers don't use NetUSB as they don't provide any of those sorts of functions. The only similar function would be USB printer support which is provided by Asus' own u2ec.
How so ? You still have USB ports and sharng functionality to the WAN interface for the cloud or sharing the said storage device to other devices on the same network.

How so ? You still have USB ports and sharng functionality to the WAN interface for the cloud or sharing the said storage device to other devices on the same network.
NetUSB is propriety code that provides USB over IP. That's completely different to a router having USB attached storage (using the normal Linux USB kernel modules) and running file sharing services like Samba and FTP.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!