What's new

Network extender and DHCP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

keef

Hello, I have an Asus AC3100 router running Merlin with no problems. I'm trying to set up an extender to get the network signal a little stronger on the patio.

I have tried a no-name China device and a TP-Link (850) model with the same results. I get no internet service no matter what device I log in with. The connection is fine, just no internet. The TP-Link said to disable the DHCP server and use a static IP. The result is the same.

Can anyone point me toward a solution? It's driving me nuts, no doubt something simple however I barely hobble any with this stuff as it is.

My wife and kid are anxious to get out there with laptops. Personally, I look at at the patio as a device-free zone however I have been outvoted.

thanks, Bj

I think in this case references to DHCP are irrelevant and just serving to confuse matters. TBH range extenders are about as simple as it can get. You plug them in, follow the instructions to connect to your main WiFi and that's it.

As it's a "no-name China device" I can't speculate on whether you've configured it correctly. But you say you can connect to it so the first thing I would do is check that you can ping the IP address of the RT-AC3100. If that works trying pinging 8.8.8.8.

I think in this case references to DHCP are irrelevant and just serving to confuse matters. TBH range extenders are about as simple as it can get. You plug them in, follow the instructions to connect to your main WiFi and that's it.

As it's a "no-name China device" I can't speculate on whether you've configured it correctly. But you say you can connect to it so the first thing I would do is check that you can ping the IP address of the RT-AC3100. If that works trying pinging 8.8.8.8.

I set a couple of these up in the past (different network) and they were remarkably easy. This time it is nuts.

Connecting to either extender I cannot ping my router. The TP-Link shows Dynamic IP: failed in its status screen. I only say they are successfully set up in that they point to the correct network to extend, the password is correct and I can log in to the extender. But it stops there.

thanks for the reply.

If you log into the RT-AC3100 you should be able to confirm on the Wireless Log page that the extender has an active connection. You should also be able to see what IP address the router has assigned to it.

That's part of the problem Colin, the device does not see the router. That's what is driving me nuts, it should not be this hard.

thanks

I'm almost afraid to comment for fear of stating the obvious but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Essentially when you first connect to the extender, e.g., you connect wirelessly to the range extender, it will not give you access to the Internet. It is simply to give you access to the extender so that you can "configure" it.

Once you have initially connected you then open a browser window and go to "tplinkrepeater.net" (or 192.168.0.254?) to actually configure the extender.

If that all sounds familiar then, again, my apologies for stating the obvious. If this is new news then check out this youtube link ==> Configure TP

Good Luck!

Last edited:
That's part of the problem Colin, the device does not see the router. That's what is driving me nuts, it should not be this hard.
What do you mean by "see"? Does it have some sort of WiFi access point list that you're meant to choose one to connect to? Can you "see" other nearby access points but not your own?

If you log into the RT-AC3100 you should be able to confirm on the Wireless Log page that the extender has an active connection. You should also be able to see what IP address the router has assigned to it.

Well, Colin after much playing around I got the extender to see the router. The router is 1.1 and the extender is 1.254. I am still unable to ping outside however this is a big start. Any ideas where to look now?

thanks

thanks[/QUOTE]
What do you mean by "see"? Does it have some sort of WiFi access point list that you're meant to choose one to connect to? Can you "see" other nearby access points but not your own?

Colin, by see I meant able to ping. So I can ping the router however I cannot ping outside my network. When setting the extender up I do get a list of networks that I can choose from to extend. That part goes fine.

thanks

My guess is you don't have a route statement on the first router pointing to the second router's network. If you want to run it flat with the second router then your setup is not correct. Maybe you are using the WAN port on the second router. DHCP is not going to stop your setup. It is only going mis-assign IP addresses. Hardcode your IPs and test your network.

My guess is you don't have a route statement on the first router pointing to the second router's network. If you want to run it flat with the second router then your setup is not correct. Maybe you are using the WAN port on the second router. DHCP is not going to stop your setup. It is only going mis-assign IP addresses. Hardcode your IPs and test your network.

Hi. I leave out everything when I am frustrated. It was when I gave the extender a static IP 192.168.1.254, 255.255.255.0 with a gateway of 192.168.1.1 it finally allowed me to ping my router at 192.168.1.1
Please bear with me here, by 2nd router do you mean the extender? To use the TP Link built in setup to edit settings I need to hardwire it and I am using the LAN port on the device. I remove the cable when I am checking my results.

thanks

Woohoo, the route statement was it! I added that and I can ping the world from the extender. Now just find the perfect spot to plug it in and all is well in the household again.

Funny how chest pains go away after something big (well to me) is successful.

thanks very much, Bj

Well, I'm 99% of the way there! With the route line added (192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.1) my whole network goes funny. Slows right down and I sometimes cannot get to pages without a few refreshes.

I removed the route line with no luck and. I tried a router reboot with no luck. Something is wrong here.

Do you have any ideas from here? Chest pains are back.....

thanks

(is this message is a duplicate it's my fault)

Last edited:
With the route line added (192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.1) my whole network goes funny. Slows right down and I sometimes cannot get to pages without a few refreshes.
Where are you entering this information? Can you provide a screen shot.

Attachments

• route screen II.jpg
    route screen II.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 422
I am entering the info here. I removed the routing info.
That's definitely wrong. You should not be creating static routes on the Asus. You would only do that if you wanted to connect a second router with a different subnet. If you read @coxhaus' post again you can see that he was mistaken in thinking you had a second router, you don't, you have a wireless repeater (aka extender).

EDIT: Did you follow the video instructions in post #6, particularly Method 2?

Last edited:
At the risk of sounding "Klueless" are you connecting the extender to a "guest" SSID with Intranet disabled? I do not know that it should make any difference but it might be something to consider?

That's definitely wrong. You should not be creating static routes on the Asus. You would only do that if you wanted to connect a second router with a different subnet. If you read @coxhaus' post again you can see that he was mistaken in thinking you had a second router, you don't, you have a wireless repeater (aka extender).

EDIT: Did you follow the video instructions in post #6, particularly Method 2?

If he has an only extender then there is no setup. You just plug in the power. DHCP definitely does not have any thing to do with a wireless extender.

If he has an only extender then there is no setup. You just plug in the power.

That can't be right. :)

Otherwise, I could just use my neighbor's internet for free. ;)

If he has an only extender then there is no setup. You just plug in the power.
Well that's almost right ... if - you push the "WPS" buttons. Otherwise you have to tell the extender which SSID to connect to and what (if any) password to use.