What's new

network hardware layout and troubleshooting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jmgreen7

New Around Here
I'm new here everyone, so please take it easy on me!

I recently moved to Cox from Verizon, and in doing so, allowed me to use my own hardware modem and router. Both the modem and router are on the approved list, and everything seems to be working properly while running wirelessly or connected directly to the router. Anything that is plugged into my switch is not working though, and i'm trying to sort that out.

Here is my cabling layout:

ISP -> Modem -> switch -> router/dhcp server.

Everything was working fine with verizon set up in that manner, but i'm guessing that the verizon router also had the modem built in.

So, as i mentioned before, my wireless connections are fine, and my hard line connections from the router are fine, but anything fed directly from the switch does not work.

I have an asus n66u, motorola sb6121, and a netgear dumb switch.

Does anyone have any advice for my layout or troubleshooting for this?

You just need to get the horse in front of the cart..... ;)

ISP -> Modem -> router/dhcp server -> switch.

I had my suspicion that you would say that. My followup to that is that i would love to have my router up on the first floor, but my cable comes in the basement. Is it possible to connect up to the modem off of the splitter in one of the bedrooms where i will have the router?

Right now, there's a special connector on the output to the modem from the splitter. I don't know if it is a signal booster or what. will try to get pictures if you need.

It should be fine. Likely you have a filter on there, possibly a booster. Can you just move that with the modem?

As mentioned, the switch must be behind the router, it cannot be before the router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!