What's new

Network Service Filter - block internet (not lan) access

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

noric

I'm kinda noob when it comes to network services filtering. What I'd like to achieve is blocking my smartTV's internet access (apparently smartTV=spyware), without blocking lan access to DLNA server and so on.
I was thinking of the following configuration:
a4wy.jpg

This should block every incoming and outgoing connection, right?
Also, is there a way to monitor dropped packets in real time?
Thanks.

Wow, what happened to ColinTaylor's reply?

I have an Lg tv, not Samsung. But the privacy concerns are still there... The tv is "calling home" to report what you see and the file names you have on your attached hdd and so on.

Yes, probably I could just disable the internet connection in the tv itself, but I'd like to be sure and blacklist it in the router. I've searched but couldn't find an easy way to disable internet access for a specific client, so I reverted to network services filtering. What do you think about the settins in the attached image? Is there an easier way I am missing?
Thanks.

This should work. If not, one workaround others have used in the past is to enable Parental Control, and configure your TV to never have Internet access.

Thanks Merlin. I'll let you know if it works as soon as I try.
Is there a way to monitor dropped packets in realtime?

Update:
It works and I found how to log dropped packets too. There's an option to log packet types in the firewall>general tab of the GUI.
Thanks to everybody.

Anyway, I've looked at the tv's settings and there's no easy way to disable internet access there (without disabling the whole lan connection, that is). The only way would probably be giving the tv fake dns addresses. But I trust more the router's network services filter.

Is there a way to disable/enable Internet access (complete,not only certain ports) for a specific IP address via commandline ?
But the IP should remain accessable via VPN !!!!