What's new

Network speed in virtual machines

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kng

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I have a TS453a model, I'm using virtual machines for different purposes. I have two network cables connected to my nas, one in eth0 used by nas for internet connectivity and network traffic and another one, eth3, used for virtual machines.

Also on my laptop I have a very fast internet speed (almost 500 Mbps), from a virtual machine with Windows on it, I have only 16 Mbps while doing a speed test.

Do you have any ideea why is so slow the connection on my virtual machine?

Thank you

Hi,

I have a TS453a model, I'm using virtual machines for different purposes. I have two network cables connected to my nas, one in eth0 used by nas for internet connectivity and network traffic and another one, eth3, used for virtual machines.

Also on my laptop I have a very fast internet speed (almost 500 Mbps), from a virtual machine with Windows on it, I have only 16 Mbps while doing a speed test.

Do you have any ideea why is so slow the connection on my virtual machine?

Thank you

What os does the vm use?

Windows 7. I just did another test on a VM with Windows 10, the speed there is around 40 Mbps. A little bit better but still small.

Check the setup on the Virtual Switch (inside Virtualization Station), it might not be configured correctly...

In order to have a connection to my lan, from the virtual machine, I configured a virtual switch. This was configured to use the Adapter 4, but currently I see that it uses also virtual adapter 1 & 2, which are not defined/configured/connected. This changed after the update to the latest QTS I think.

In order to have a connection to my lan, from the virtual machine, I configured a virtual switch. This was configured to use the Adapter 4, but currently I see that it uses also virtual adapter 1 & 2, which are not defined/configured/connected. This changed after the update to the latest QTS I think.

Yeah, between that and/or the Virtualization 2.0 update a while back - thing is that QNAP has been making a few changes across the builds, and this can screw up the Virtual Switch - worse case - stop the VM, redo the config, and start the VM back up, and should work better...

Nice thing with the Virtual Switch is that you can now access the NAS direct from the VM without having to hairpin in and out across the interfaces - long run, it's a good thing...

I deleted the virtual switch and recreated. I configured it to use the same dedicated interface. First time I configured in bridged mode and now as "external-only networking". I'm doing the tests on the Windows 10 VM, but I have the same speed, around 40Mbps.

I tried to change the ethernet from Intel Gigabit to Virtual gigabit ethernet, I installed the drivers from Qnap, the speed is about the same. I saw just a small increase to 50Mbps.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!