What's new

Network upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

enr00ted

Regular Contributor
KTA1net.png
Hi there everyone. I am doing some different network setups for a planned upgrade. With this setup I have some questions that I am not sure of:
- Will the different transfers between pc's, NAS, or other devices have to pass by the router ? Or the switch handles this directly ?
- Internet traffic will go to the defined gateway right ? Which will be the router. The second switch will have the same gateway as the first one ?
- If I enable jumbo frames on the switches, given that I have a mix of Fast Ethernet and Gigabit, will it work ? Will I have problems ?
- Will I be able to stream IPTV to all my pc's ?

Hardware that I plan on using:
- Swittches, managed : http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-41_TL-SG105E.html (I already have one and I am pretty satisfied)
- Adsl modem router : Undecided yet, but with Fast Etherent ports (My connection is very slow, not worth gigabit)
- AP : Some tp-link with AC, still undecided but with gigabit ports (C5, C7 etc)

As long as you are in the same network your devices will talk layer 2 and do not need to pass through the router. The switch will handle the communications. Once you have 2 networks, you need to work at layer 3 and they will need to be routed by your router or a layer 3 switch.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!