What's new

Networking Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jcwillia1

Regular Contributor
I have various problems with my home network at the moment...

Network
----------------------------------
my house has three levels - basement, main floor and second floor.

Basement - There is the U-Verse Gigabit modem (wireless turned off, thank you very much), a Linksys router (the one with the highest rated throughput 6300?), and an 8 port switch feeding the rest of the house.

Main Floor - One ethernet port in the office and one ASUS Black Diamond (N56?) in AP mode sitting inside my Pantry broadcasting separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5.8 signals

Second Floor - one ASUS Black Diamond (N56?) in AP mode sitting inside my son's closet (as close to the middle of the house as I could get and still have hidden) broadcasting separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5.8 signals

Problems
----------------------------------
Not all of that you needed to know but here are my issues :

1) I have an ethernet wire feeding the basement that is lighting up amber on both ends. I have read up on it and it seems like I may have nicked or misfed a wire in process of crimping the ends? But I don't ahve any issues with performance. My speedtest on the terminal end of that wire still shows really great internet performance. Do I need to fix this and is it as simple as lopping off the ends and starting over?

2) I started getting verification requests from Google yesterday. Weirded me out. It said "we want to make sure this is you and not a robot". I read up on it and it said that means that google is getting an unsual number of search requests from my IP and they want to make sure it's real - should I be concerned about this? I'll be the first to admit my security on my network is not great. Everything is default passwords.

3) Finally this week, my Black Diamond in my pantry stopped allowing connections to the 5.8 SSID. I tried my phone and my iPad. The phone wouldn't connect and the iPad couldn't even find the SSID. So I rebooted the WAP from my computer in the basement and now everything works again.

If 2 and 3 and not happened at the same time, I probably wouldn't think anything of it but with them happening so close together it made me a little nervous.

How can I tell if there is suspicious activity on my network? I'm not a big fan of monitoring tools running in the background on my PC. In my experience all they do is burn out your hard drive and if they catch something, it's usually too late to fix anyways and you just have to wipe and start over.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

1) don't fix what is not broken. If performance is good, leave it alone.

2 & 3) change those default passwords asap! Changing the ssid names and making them hidden won't hurt either.

Don't recommend using "hidden" wireless networks. More confusing for everyone...anyone within range can still see and join them in the usual way. So they're not really hidden, just harder to use *smile*.

2 & 3) change those default passwords asap! Changing the ssid names and making them hidden won't hurt either.

Definitely change the default passwords - sooner than later...

Hidden/Stealth SSID's - no benefit here actually - someone with a minimum of technical skills can sort this out pretty quick, and it does impact admin stuff... similar to MAC filters, this is also NOT needed...

Having a strong WPA2 passphrase is good enough these days...