What's new

Networking woes and recommendations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do you feel bad that Fyodor's network isn't working well?

• Yes, terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'm indifferent

• Fyodor's failures make me feel better about my own good network.

• Total voters

Fyodor

Regular Contributor
All

I'm in a (narrow) four story rowhouse and I'm trying to figure out how to get my network set up in a way that gives me good wifi coverage and very fast access to higher bitrate media .

Here's the arrangement.

First floor- spare bedroom with coax jack (house is wired for coax).

Second floor: FIOS ONT, which connects to the WAN port of the FIOS Gateway (G1100 combined Router and MoCA bridge). Roku and Tivo connected via Ethernet to FIOS Gateway. I'd like to eventually put some sort of HTPC client in there also.

Third floor: Office. There is a MOCA bridge which connects to a hub and printer. Frustratingly, my desk with the computer (and stored media) is on the other side of the room and there is no clean way to run cables between the MoCA bridge and no way to move the computer. Right now I have a pair of older (AV500) powerline adapters basically bridging within the room from the outlet near the computer to the outlet next to the MoCA bridge.

Fourth floor: Bedroom. MoCA adapter is connected via ethernet to switch. Switch has Tivo Mini and Roku connected, which access the Internet/Tivo Bolt via router.

MoCa bridges are Yitong MoCA 2.0 devices.

Problems
1. Speeds from 2nd floor Roku and Tivo are subpar and can't stream higher bitrate (40 mbps )media reliably and quickly from computer over the MoCA-powerline-Computer connection. . I suspect that the powerline leg is the problem.

2. Wifi doesn't reach spare bedroom on first floor.

3. Wifi is very weak on some parts of fourth floor.

I'm contemplating different solutions, but haven't found anything that really works. In addition to fixing the problems above I'd like as much as possible to have as few points of failure as I can. So, while say MoCA-connected wireless access points would work for coverage I'm concerned about having say multiple devices to check if it stops working, losing the MoCA connection, etc.

Are there any 802.11AC routers that would provide noticeably better wifi coverage than the FIOS gateway? Is it feasible to use some sort of higher speed wireless connection between the computer and router for serving higher bitrate (40+mbps media)? Would I want a bridge or would a USB adapter on the computer work?

Any wifi access point products that are particularly well recommended? For the wifi I'm less concerned about particularly high bandwidth and more concerned about good coverage and reliable connections (no dropouts, etc).

Thanks!
Fyodor

Last edited:
Bite the bullet and replace powerline with Ethernet. There are flat Ethernet cables that will work well enough for short runs. Other alternative is to upgrade to AV2 powerline.

Add access points or routers converted to access points in your dead spots. Since they don't have to reach far, inexpensive AC1200 devices should work fine. Also possible to use AC1200 extenders that support Access point mode.