What's new

New AP after moving

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

geekmiki

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I've just moved and as expected I need to work on my wifi/network setup in order to get proper coverage.

In my previous apartment (167m2 /1800 sq ft over two floors) I had an Asus RT-AC68U placed on the top floor that covered perfectly the whole apartment. I also had some RJ45 running from the router down to the media center/servers that gave me a perfect setup for my needs.

New apartment, new problems... The apartment is about the same size (165m2/1775 sq ft), but over one floor. The router needs to be placed at one extremity of the apartment, which makes it difficult to cover the whole place properly either by RJ45 and wifi. I can't have (or rather don't want to invest in) RJ45 in the walls.

My plan so far is:
-Get 2 MoCA 2.0 adapters in order to bring wired connectivity to the living room/media center setup. I've already ordered the Actiontec bonded ECB6200.
The living room is placed in the middle of the apartment.
-Get a wireless AP that connects to a MoCA adapter in the living room, to have a proper wireless coverage of the apartment.

I have a cable internet access (250/50) and I expect to be able to max out those speeds wirelessly (as I did in the previous apartment with the AC68U).

I've considered getting an Ubiquiti Unifi AC Pro and place it in the living room, but I've read mixed reviews.

My question:
Which AP would you recommend that supports 2.4/5Ghz and as an option blends in well in a living room?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Since you already have an Asus RT-AC68U, you could get a second one, and run it in AP mode.

I think you'll be disappointed in the mix you're considering.

Run the ISP's cable modem to the living room and use your RT-AC68U, (or better; a BestBuy RT-AC1900P or even better an RT-AC3100) as the sole router instead. Full use of all the features (as 'guaranteed' as anything can be these days). Much better than mixing AP's, routers and (ugh) moca (which will give you speeds of less than your ISP offers).

I thought MoCA 2.0 would have speeds ranging from 400-750 Mbps. At least, that's what I've read here...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!