What's new

New AX86U router..... can't convert to Merlin??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EdCaffreyMS

Occasional Visitor
My new AX86U arrived today, and a couple of strange things so far. First, unreachable via direct connection/IP (the documentation say the IP is 192.168.1.1). I guess I'm old school in that I always set up any new hardware directly from my laptop via LAN connection, and simply couldn't get there with this router. So, I connected via the "quick setup guide" and went through the setup in that manner. During the setup the router updates to the latest firmware..... so once I confirmed that, I downlaoded the Asus/Merlin firmware and tried to update...... Failed/invalid firmware upload. Double checked that I had downloaded the correct firmware (I did), reset and power cycled the router and tried again.....
InvalidFirmware.png

same thing Is there something I'm missing?? I'll keep at it and try to see what I've missed. Appreciate any help!

EDIT: I could not connect via the IP....because the IP wasn't what it should have been. For some reason that I don't know, the router's IP was: 192.168.50.1 I have not clue how that came to pass??? Hmmm.
Reset the IP and the pool.... now let's try the firmware again.......

Last edited:
What's the filename of the image file you're trying to upload? Where did you download it from?

You've definitely got the AX86U, and not the AC86U or AX68U...?

Sorry, but with so many similar model numbers, it can be very easy to grab the wrong one.

192.168.50.1 has been an ASUS address since the AC86U I think. Used to be the more common 192.168.1.1.

My new AX86U arrived today, and a couple of strange things so far. First, unreachable via direct connection/IP (the documentation say the IP is 192.168.1.1). I guess I'm old school in that I always set up any new hardware directly from my laptop via LAN connection, and simply couldn't get there with this router. So, I connected via the "quick setup guide" and went through the setup in that manner. During the setup the router updates to the latest firmware..... so once I confirmed that, I downlaoded the Asus/Merlin firmware and tried to update...... Failed/invalid firmware upload. Double checked that I had downloaded the correct firmware (I did), reset and power cycled the router and tried again..... View attachment 39234
same thing Is there something I'm missing?? I'll keep at it and try to see what I've missed. Appreciate any help!

EDIT: I could not connect via the IP....because the IP wasn't what it should have been. For some reason that I don't know, the router's IP was: 192.168.50.1 I have not clue how that came to pass??? Hmmm.
Reset the IP and the pool.... now let's try the firmware again.......

The default router LAN IP is 192.168.50.1.

OE

Still no success on the Merlin firmware, although I do have the router running my network right now. I actually downloaded the firmware a few times, just to make sure I was getting/using the correct file. (https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AX86U/Release/) I was a bit skeptical, only because I had not seen, and no idea that there was such a thing as a "W" file type. Another questions that the forums has answered for me. Still get that same error screen. This might be a situation that it gets returned for a replacement....especially if I find other glitches.

As for the IP..... do different models of Asus routers have different factory IP addresses? I ask because I have some old AC68U, and a new AC88U that all had default IPs of 192.168.1.1 Is it just the AX versions with have the "50" replacing "1" as the next to last digit in the IP? And just a Hmmmm kinda question..... what difference does that make in anything?

The next step is to reset a couple of the other routers, and give the Imesh a try. My biggest concern with that is my wyze IP cameras. I have a total of 16 around the property, and monitor them via my PC and Tiny Cam Pro (through Bluestacks). If it doesn't work....then I'll go back to having diifferent wireless networks for each router.

Thanks for being so tolerant of someone with far less networking knowledge then all of you! :)

As for the IP..... do different models of Asus routers have different factory IP addresses? I ask because I have some old AC68U, and a new AC88U that all had default IPs of 192.168.1.1 Is it just the AX versions with have the "50" replacing "1" as the next to last digit in the IP? And just a Hmmmm kinda question..... what difference does that make in anything?
I think all models are using .50. nowadays having moved away from .1. a few years ago. I'm not aware of Asus using any other addresses (ignoring special ISP-only models). You can always change back to .1. if you want to, I did.

Try installing 386.3_2 first and then upgrading it to 386.4.

My biggest concern with that is my wyze IP cameras. I have a total of 16 around the property,

I agree... Wyze cams are far far more concerning than an OEM's choice of default IP. :)

OE

OK.....after a full day of trying, I did get the Merlin firmware to upload! I proceeded to TRY to setup AImesh, with the AX86U as the "router", and attempting to create "nodes". Once with an AC88U and the other an AC68U.... and again, can't make it work...... at least not with the Merlin firmware.
Does Merlin firmware support AImesh? I ask because after a reset, and at the routers webUI, When I click "Advanced" there should be a selection on the next page for "AImesh Node" and it does not appear with the Merlin Firware installed. However, reverting to the stock Asus firmware, and it shows up. Is there something I'm missing? I'm just about at the point of giving up, and making APs instead.

OK.....after a full day of trying, I did get the Merlin firmware to upload! I proceeded to TRY to setup AImesh, with the AX86U as the "router", and attempting to create "nodes". Once with an AC88U and the other an AC68U.... and again, can't make it work...... at least not with the Merlin firmware.
Does Merlin firmware support AImesh? I ask because after a reset, and at the routers webUI, When I click "Advanced" there should be a selection on the next page for "AImesh Node" and it does not appear with the Merlin Firware installed. However, reverting to the stock Asus firmware, and it shows up. Is there something I'm missing? I'm just about at the point of giving up, and making APs instead.

This is from RMerlin's wiki about his firmware, and will illuminate which nodes to use RMerlin firmware on and which nodes to use Asus firmware with. You will get this working, just takes getting up on the learning curve a bit.

Also, adding an AiMesh node appears under the AiMesh tab, "+Add AiMesh Node", not under Advanced tabs in RMerlin firmware. Looking right at it on my AX86U with 386.4 *smile*.

Or, if you click on the AiMesh symbol on the Network Map page (front page of web admin GUI), you can search for AiNodes to add from there.

Last edited:
Thanks! I will read some more, but right now trying to get AImesh operational is the most frustrating thing I've encountered.... NOTHING works as advertised in any of the tutorials and/or literature. Where I was coming from about the "Advanced" tab.... in several "tutorials" they say that if the main router cannot find or refuses to install the "node" via the "AImesh" tab, then reset the device and when the setup screen opens, instead of hitting "setup" to hit "Advanced" and select the devices function as "AI mesh Node". I've have a couple of instances where the AX86U has detected the AC88U as a "node" when using the AImesh tab on the AX86U UI..... then take forever to get to 60-70% complete.... then I get an error message and of course the page with 4-5 "steps" to take..... I think I know those by memory now. :) I'm going to read that link above, back up, take a deep breath and try again. If you see a mushroom cloud in the NW..... that'll be me! :)

Went and read that link.... It's amazing the amount of research I person can do, and not find what's needed. That explains a lot! I'm gona revert everything to stock firmware and give it another go. THANKS!

Last edited:
Thanks! I will read some more, but right now trying to get AImesh operational is the most frustrating thing I've encountered.... NOTHING works as advertised in any of the tutorials and/or literature. Where I was coming from about the "Advanced" tab.... in several "tutorials" they say that if the main router cannot find or refuses to install the "node" via the "AImesh" tab, then reset the device and when the setup screen opens, instead of hitting "setup" to hit "Advanced" and select the devices function as "AI mesh Node". I've have a couple of instances where the AX86U has detected the AC88U as a "node" when using the AImesh tab on the AX86U UI..... then take forever to get to 60-70% complete.... then I get an error message and of course the page with 4-5 "steps" to take..... I think I know those by memory now. :) I'm going to read that link above, back up, take a deep breath and try again. If you see a mushroom cloud in the NW..... that'll be me! :)

Don't configure the remote node... reset it to its firmware defaults and search/add it from within the root node webUI. AiMesh will configure the remote node automatically.

The add process uses WPS which could be suseptible to radio interference. Confirm all WLANs are broadcasting normally... a WiFi Analyzer app can 'see' this. AiMesh requires all WiFi to be healthy even if using a wired backhaul. And try using a wire from router LAN to node WAN.

OE

Last edited:
I'm gona revert everything to stock firmware and give it another go.

As a rule, I think it is prudent to commission a new network/hardware with stock firmware before introducing third party firmware. If you encounter trouble like defective new hardware (most likely to happen out-of-box or in the first year), you can immediately address it to OEM Support without first having to start all over with OEM firmware.

OE

I think all models are using .50. nowadays having moved away from .1. a few years ago. I'm not aware of Asus using any other addresses (ignoring special ISP-only models). You can always change back to .1. if you want to, I did.

Try installing 386.3_2 first and then upgrading it to 386.4.
I had the same invalid firmware issue with my RT-AX86U, and installing 386.3_2 first did fix it. Thanks!

Well.... I GIVE UP!
I have spent 4 days now, jacking around with Asus Routers. The ONLY way I could get any of the AImesh to work, was to put the most recent version of stock firmware on all the routers.
Then the only one that would show up/connect to AImesh as a "node" was the AC88U, and after that having taken 1/2 a day to accomplish....... where I had to place afterwards.... showed as not being a strong enough signal/telling me to move it closer.
I spent literally DAYS trying to get any of my 3 AC68U routers to be detected/work as nodes..... and they were never discovered.
As soon as I implemented AImesh, the wifi on the AX86U (the main router) started dropping out, and only a reboot fixed it. I just have to marvel at how nothing in networking even a small layout like mine, never goes smoothly..... and even more so all the little tidbits that hardware makers leave out.... that can only be found after hours and hours of searching the net.... and then finding it on a forum such as this one. GEEZ!

Sometimes you don't know what you had...until it's gone. Tomorrow I'll go back to Merlin on all 4 routers (1-AX86U, 1-AC88U, and 2 AC68U routers, set 3 of them up as APs, and see if the AX86U keeps dropping wifi.

If it does, then I think it will get returned for a new AC86U. $250 is far too much to pay for a router that is so much trouble, and displays so many glitches under typical use scenarios. Many thanks to all who offered advice/help..... I tried it all!

Last edited:
I had the same invalid firmware issue with my RT-AX86U, and installing 386.3_2 first did fix it. Thanks!
Noted, will be doing my RT-AX86U soon

I just wanted to swing by and say Thank you to everyone who helped me on this situation. I ended up doing what I said in my last post.... Used the AX86U as my primary router, then 1 AC88U and 3 AC68U routers in AP configuration, and now have a stable network that runs 15 Wyze cams via TinyCam Pro/windows 11 android support. No camera jitters, and everything else is very stable. IMO, Asus AI mesh is a train wreck..... just run APs with Merlin firmware. I have all the SSIDs from the various routers/APs named the same, and set to different channels. I'm not entirely sure, but it seems this more or less forced devices to connect to the stronger signal SSID..... at least that's what I am seeing.

Anyway, again, thanks to those who offered words of advice. I very much appreciate your efforts!

IMO, Asus AI mesh is a train wreck..... just run APs with Merlin firmware. I have all the SSIDs from the various routers/APs named the same, and set to different channels. I'm not entirely sure, but it seems this more or less forced devices to connect to the stronger signal SSID..... at least that's what I am seeing.
If you reboot your Primary (AX86U), will both your AC68U's (AP Mode) auto reconnect to the AX86U once it comes back online?

Currently, with the f/w versions in my signature, my AC68U (AP Mode) will not connect back to my AC86U if it reboot it, I have to power cycle the AC68U.

Once I bring my AX86U online and update the firmware to current merlin on the AC68U and AC86U, I was going to try AiMesh with those two (AX86U Primiary). After reading your post, I may just stick to AP mode as before. A few years back, AiMesh was a mesh so I just went AP mode.

All of my router/APs are Ethernet wired, with the AX86U set to reboot everyday at 3:10am...... and I never have any issues with reconnecting.

Base on my recent experience with AImesh, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Even with the routers that Asus says are all compatible for mesh, with each other, it's simply a train wreck trying to get everything to work/stay online. I tried all the firmwares across all the routers, and even some odd combos from one to the other..... and spent literally DAYS trying to get things working.... DEPENDABLY..... and it just didn't happen.

Using the AX86U and it's power as my primary router did wonders for my network! I can run all my security cams via Android for windows/Tiny Cam Pro, have the VPN running on the router, and all the everyday things that go on, and not even a hiccup in anything. The second most load is on the AC88U, and I use the two AC68Us for the least load places in the network.

The only issue I can see right now is the temp on the AX86U.... it runs constantly in the in the high 60sC..... and with heavy loads, it easily hits 70C...... I need to look around the forums and see if others are expereiencing this...and any solutions.... running at those temps, I can't image it will have a long life.

The only issue I can see right now is the temp on the AX86U.... it runs constantly in the in the high 60sC..... and with heavy loads, it easily hits 70C...... I need to look around the forums and see if others are expereiencing this...and any solutions.... running at those temps, I can't image it will have a long life.
Anything under 80C is quite cool. That CPU will only thermal throttle at 100C.

The CPU temperature is greatly affected by the ambient temperature. My AC68U & AX11000 idle at 57C with room temperature at 15C. With USB fans, they idle at 38C. Last Summer the room temperature was above 35C and the AC68U surged above 80C without active cooling when loaded, and around 60C with an USB fan. There are ready made USB fans for your router and aren't expensive. Judging from all the YouTube repairs that I have watched, dead circuits were often due to weakened solder joints and cooked capacitors. The chips themselves can withstand very high temperature but not the surrounding components.