What's new

New features in 378.53 :)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

378.53 (xx-xxx-2015)
- NEW: OpenVPN selective routing. You can now select which client IPs
you want to route through your OpenVPN client connection.
You can optionally block WAN access to these as well when the
tunnel goes down.

This feature is brilliant!

I consider myself to be reasonably IT savvy, but have almost zero exposure to anything *nix. After using Asuswrt-Merlin since I got my RT-AC68U over a year ago, I registered a forum account tonight just to be able to fully utilise the forums to learn how to do something very similar to this. The Selective Routing thread is a wealth of information, but it has been quite a steep learning curve and everything I try causes unexpected results. The timing of this change is quite serendipitous!

If I could be so bold to ask, RMerlin, I did have one question though about how the feature will be implemented. How easy will it be to do the reverse of what the feature proposes? I want to send all my network clients through the OpenVPN client connection by default, and only allow direct WAN access from one specific IP. I also still want to block all WAN access if the VPN goes down.

If I could be so bold to ask, RMerlin, I did have one question though about how the feature will be implemented. How easy will it be to do the reverse of what the feature proposes? I want to send all my network clients through the OpenVPN client connection by default, and only allow direct WAN access from one specific IP. I also still want to block all WAN access if the VPN goes down.

Technically possible, but not something I plan to integrate at this time. I want to keep this functionality simple to manage. Also, protocol-based routing not be implemented, as it would be unreliable due to the DPI engine manipulating the mangle table - it could randomly break the iptables-based marking.

I have a question... How i can check if my TOR for VPN works ?
Is TOR only available for VPN ? Probably in Tomato it works for all...

And if i can use TOR for download from torrernt ?

... I mean where I can download the firmware .53 for 87U. Do you understand???????????????? I dont ask about 87U or 87R!!!!!

Gửi từ SM-N910C của tôi bằng cách sử dụng Tapatalk
i understand clearly, but You not. If You can read this topic then You can know that this fw is not avaible yet.

... I mean where I can download the firmware .53 for 87U. Do you understand???????????????? I dont ask about 87U or 87R!!!!!

Gửi từ SM-N910C của tôi bằng cách sử dụng Tapatalk

As RMerlin posted 2 days ago

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/new-features-in-378-53.23880/page-2#post-177613

This thread is about proposed features that may (or may not) appear in the next firmware release.

So to reiterate (as many members have patiently/politely replied) ......there is no firmware .53 yet - DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

As RMerlin posted 2 days ago

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/new-features-in-378-53.23880/page-2#post-177613

This thread is about proposed features that may (or may not) appear in the next firmware release.

So to reiterate (as many members have patiently/politely replied) ......there is no firmware .53 yet - DO YOU UNDERSTAND?
Idiot. Someone can complile the alpha version. And I ask this topic owner about where I can download the alpha version for 87R. YOU DONT UNDERSTAND AND JUST KNOW TO SHOUT ALOUD.

I have a question... How i can check if my TOR for VPN works ?
Is TOR only available for VPN ? Probably in Tomato it works for all...

And if i can use TOR for download from torrernt ?

I strongly suggest you read up on Tor before using this feature:

https://www.torproject.org/

There are a lot of pitfalls associated to this.

For instance, do NOT use TOR for torrenting.

a) You will overload a network that's intended for anonymous web browsing, not massive P2P
b) which will seriously annoy the TOR exit point owners, and
c) TOR won't anonymize your torrent activity anyway

https://blog.torproject.org/blog/bittorrent-over-tor-isnt-good-idea

Calm down guys... This is alpha level code - which mean it hasn't even reached beta status yet. That code changes every few nights, and can be completely broken at times.

There's no build available, and I recommend against downloading someone else's builds:

1) You don't know what's in that random build you are downloading from random guy "X" on the net, and blindly putting on your router
2) It's alpha level code, not something you can trust your home network to, unless you are prepared to deal with bugs, stability issues and what-not

If this thread continues to devolve into a mixture of off-topic posts, begging and random shouting match then I'll slap a padlock on it.

Why TOR i set Tab in VPN ? It is not comoftable... should be set in other menu... Maybe suggest in menu TOOLS.

Why TOR i set Tab in VPN ? It is not comoftable... should be set in other menu... Maybe suggest in menu TOOLS.

Primarily because that's where Asus put it. And also because TOR is a form of tunnelling, so its best location is indeed under the VPN section. The virtual private network here is made up of all the TOR nodes through which you communicate.

You cant. It does not exist yet. Keep check on http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/ for updates as to when its available.
NOTE: all the "R" versions (for example RT-N66R) are the same as their
"U" counterparts, they are just different packages aimed at large
retailers. The firmware is 100% compatible with both U and R versions
of the routers. Same with the "W" variants that are simply white

NOTE: all the "R" versions (for example RT-N66R) are the same as their
"U" counterparts, they are just different packages aimed at large
retailers. The firmware is 100% compatible with both U and R versions
of the routers. Same with the "W" variants that are simply white
um ok. I didnt ask that and I am fully aware of the U R etc models. So I am confused by your reply to me :) The OP I replied to was asking where he could download 378.53 firmware from.

Hello
Is any chance to add to GUI option to configure VLAN ? I see internet and i found that Linksys WRT1900AC have this option in GUI. Maybe in ASUS it can be available ?

And maybe we can add to GUI menu link to run Command Line which is in software ASUS but must run manual: Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp
Good and easy is to add for user to menu in GUI

And next is too add in GUI SpeedTest to test our speed internet connection. It is implement in Netgear and Linksys what i see.

RMerlin what you think about add this three option ?

Last edited:
Hello
Is any chance to add to GUI option to configure VLAN ? I see internet and i found that Linksys WRT1900AC have this option in GUI. Maybe in ASUS it can be available ?

And maybe we can add to GUI menu link to run Command Line which is in software ASUS but must run manual: Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp
Good and easy is to add for user to menu in GUI.

there already is a GUI for VLANs. go to LAN->IPTV and select "manual" for ISP profile. There you have options for VLAN for 2 of the 4 ports plus the WAN port.