What's new

New features preferred to see in firmware. ipsec gui, Google drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Valentino

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Your firmware is awesome! I tried different firmwares on different routers, but couldn't see ipsec gui anywhere! Ipsec is more often used rather then OpenVPN. Why don't you incule this GUI in your next firmware? You could be the first who did it ;)
And it would be great to see Google Drive support!

Thanks.

Hi,

Your firmware is awesome! I tried different firmwares on different routers, but couldn't see ipsec gui anywhere! Ipsec is more often used rather then OpenVPN. Why don't you incule this GUI in your next firmware? You could be the first who did it ;)

Because I can't enable IPSEC in the kernel for any of the recent models, as it breaks compatibility with the DPI engine. And also because adding new features is a very low priority for this project.

Because I can't enable IPSEC in the kernel for any of the recent models, as it breaks compatibility with the DPI engine. And also because adding new features is a very low priority for this project.
What models are you talking about?

I have AC56U, doest it mean I can't use IPSEC ???? :( (Is it because of ARM processor?)
Do you think you can fix it shortly?

there's nothing to fix. think of it as no longer available. what were you wanting to do with IPsec?

there's nothing to fix. think of it as no longer available. what were you wanting to do with IPsec?
I wanted to make a vpn ipsec to another router D-link di824vup, that supports only ipsec....
I don't understand why should I forget about it. I believe, that everything can be solved, just need time to work on it...
Is the same story with other firmwares, like DD-WRT, Tomato etc.? Is there any firmware that can provide ipsec support for this router? (better with GUI :)

I have AC56U, doest it mean I can't use IPSEC ???? :( (Is it because of ARM processor?)
Do you think you can fix it shortly?

As I said, I can't. It's not compatible with the kernel modules used by the DPI engine. Trend Micro would have to recompile their kernel modules against a kernel with IPSEC enabled - that's not gonna happen.

I wanted to make a vpn ipsec to another router D-link di824vup, that supports only ipsec....
I don't understand why should I forget about it. I believe, that everything can be solved, just need time to work on it...
Is the same story with other firmwares, like DD-WRT, Tomato etc.? Is there any firmware that can provide ipsec support for this router? (better with GUI :)
It's true that everything can be solved. If you don't want to understand the scope of the Merlin distribution (which RMerlin explained above), then you can solve your issue by either:
- Replacing the D-link router by one which supports OpenVPN
- Installing another firmware which supports IPsec such as the ones you mention above

Indeed, everything can be solved. The choice is yours...

Didn't want to change firmware, but it seems I can find another solution. But is it IPSEC still available on rt-ac66u? and other mips...

Didn't want to change firmware, but it seems I can find another solution. But is it IPSEC still available on rt-ac66u? and other mips...

Yes, IPSEC kernel modules are compiled in the RT-N66 and RT-AC66U releases.

And it would be great to see Google Drive support
What would "Google Drive support" mean? For example, since individual client computers already have shared access to any particular Google Drive via the Internet, not sure what added benefit could be obtained by making a Merlin router aware of Google Drive in some way.

What would "Google Drive support" mean? For example, since individual client computers already have shared access to any particular Google Drive via the Internet, not sure what added benefit could be obtained by making a Merlin router aware of Google Drive in some way.
Didn't understand you completely. I meant synchronization with Google Drive, not only with Asus webstorage and Dropbox....

As I said, I can't. It's not compatible with the kernel modules used by the DPI engine. Trend Micro would have to recompile their kernel modules against a kernel with IPSEC enabled - that's not gonna happen.
Why do Trend Micro has to recompile kernel modules? Why them?

Merlin's build is meant to enhance asus' work and fix some bugs without loosing Asus' core functionality. not recreate a totally new router os. Asus has trend micro's DPI and other software under module called AiProtection. Trend has compiled the DPI to act in conjunction with OpenVPN and other protocols. Now if you need ipsec, you need to convince Trend and Asus first, so that ipsec can be supported.

If that does not work, DDWRT or Tomato should do the work. But keep in mind, some of Asus' features and speeds will have to be compromised.

Why do Trend Micro has to recompile kernel modules? Why them?

The DPI engine developed by Trend Micro is closed source. They provide the compiled modules for it.

When you make changes to kernel options, it can cause kernel symbols to change. When that happens, any module that is compiled against that kernel and relies on these symbols to determine if the kernel matches the modules would no longer be able to load, and report symbol mismatch. Those modules need then to be recompiled using the same kernel options, so they can be compatible once more.

Enabling IPSEC support in the kernel does that.

Didn't understand you completely. I meant synchronization with Google Drive, not only with Asus webstorage and Dropbox....
Could you provide us a link to a description of a NAS Network Attached Storage box that does this?