What's new

New firmware - RT-ac68u - Version 3.0.0.4.374.454

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Firmware 3.0.0.4.374.454 has an updated SDK, so it is a good idea to go ahead and perform a factory reset after updating.

The servers may not be fully synced yet. If you do not see the firmware a available today, check by tomorrow. If it is still not up, let me know.

thanks Asusnet - looks like this firmware is a move in the right direction. Can we please get the same for AC56U?

hey, the reason for clearing nvram, as i understand it, is to clear out any old syntax, etc used with the older 'drivers', you could call it, for the proprietary stuff like the ethernet and wifi chips. it's not that your port forwards and settings are a problem, more the stuff you don't see. and as somebody said, not clearing could lead to problems that are strange and not reproducible by anybody with a correctly flashed router.

nvram, as it's name suggest, retains all information when powered off. hence I do not thing your first assumption is correct, that a restart of the router reloads the nvram. my best guess is that a firmware flash doesn't resets nvram (since all pertinent settings in the GUI still persist), hence it is sometimes advised that resetting to factory defaults (equivalent to clearing nvram?) after certain firmware flashing.

Please understand, I do not mean to be argumentative, I am just trying to understand....

In a prior post by RMerlin regarding the RT-AC68U "upgrade" utility to change the memory clock speed, he said "In the case of the upgrade tool, it upgrades the bootloader. This is why they say you must reset to factory defaults - the new values will then be written to nvam."

I interpreted this to mean, the bootloader sets the values into nvram.

Please understand, I do not mean to be argumentative, I am just trying to understand....

In a prior post by RMerlin regarding the RT-AC68U "upgrade" utility to change the memory clock speed, he said "In the case of the upgrade tool, it upgrades the bootloader. This is why they say you must reset to factory defaults - the new values will then be written to nvam."

definitely do understand, at no point in time did I think that you were being argumentative! in fact, I think you already hit the nail on the head, when you said "I could understand the mismatch that would occur if the new firmware was missing parameters or had additional settings that were not in the saved version...", which sounds like a pretty good explanation why setting to factory defaults may be a good idea after a firmware flash. perhaps even settings that remains, the syntax may change from firmware to firmware (purely guessing here), thus keeping the same syntax within the nvram may translate to a different setting outcome after a firmware flash.

My understanding:
The bootloader may set some nvram values (like cpu and memory clocks), but definitely not all of them. Otherwise it would defeat the purpose of it being non-volatile.

When you reset to factory settings you're putting firmware-specific defaults into the nvram after clearing it.

When you change a configuration setting on the router it gets saved into the nvram over the default/previous setting until you reset to factory settings or change it.

When you flash a new firmware, the nvram may have some things moved around and other things can linger from the last firmware. If the firmwares are based on the same SDK, this might still work more or less fine. In other cases, the nvram could have some values in it from an old firmware that are no longer valid for the new one, so it's recommended to clear the nvram when upgrading between some firmwares or you risk running into bugs that are hard to diagnose (because you're running a router with random invalid settings that you may not even be able to see or access).

new router

I just bought this router today. Haven't updated firmware yet. 3 laptops two cell phones everything but one laptops gets great signal. The one laptop gets 1mbps speed? Why help? Anyone else? Been Reading this on reviews

I just bought this router today. Haven't updated firmware yet. 3 laptops two cell phones everything but one laptops gets great signal. The one laptop gets 1mbps speed? Why help? Anyone else? Been Reading this on reviews

Need more info what you have done to troubleshoot your issue.

Considering this new firmware was specifically meant to address wireless-related issues, updating to it should be the first thing to try.

Need more info what you have done to troubleshoot your issue.

Bought it this afternoon setup no troubleshoot so far. Setup two different networks. But two laptops are on the 2.4 channel. Run multiple speed tests on all devices getting my 25 to 30 Mbps. Besides one and it gets less than 1mbps then suddenly will get normal 30 but then goes back down.

Bought it this afternoon setup no troubleshoot so far. Setup two different networks. But two laptops are on the 2.4 channel. Run multiple speed tests on all devices getting my 25 to 30 Mbps. Besides one and it gets less than 1mbps then suddenly will get normal 30 but then goes back down.

Update NIC drivers on your laptop. Then turn off power management for WiFi NIC on that laptop.

On router; set Channel bandwidth to 20MHZ only. Set to channel that is least being used in your neighborhood. 1, 6 11, are good channels to use, as long as they are not being overlapped by neighbors wifi.

Considering this new firmware was specifically meant to address wireless-related issues, updating to it should be the first thing to try.

I have to disagree. I don't like this new firmware. .371 is much better for me. The WiFi signal strength is far better with .454, but WiFi throughput is worse.

Last edited:
ah, but what good is signal strength without throughput?

I believe the firmware I'm on is 205

Update it to .371 or .454

ah, but what good is signal strength without throughput?

Exactly!

Ive been banging my head against the wall all day, and I cant get my PC to max out my ISP bandwidth with new firmware (.454).

I get 3.5MB/s from my ISP all day long over Ethernet or if im closer to router with my laptop.

Im using a Network Meter widget from addgadgets.com.

With .371 firmware I get 60% signal strength, and a solid 5-6MB/s over wifi to another PC.
With .454 I get a 76% signal strength, and a 2.5MB/s at best.

Last edited:
I will have to try and update it to the latest firmware tomorrow. But it's only seemingly one computer... So looking at the other devices there is nothing w wrong with the router if all the other devices are getting the correct speeds?

I will have to try and update it to the latest firmware tomorrow. But it's only seemingly one computer... So looking at the other devices there is nothing w wrong with the router if all the other devices are getting the correct speeds?

The router and the client both have to be set up correctly to get good speeds. It could be the case that a new driver for the slow computer fixes the issue, but it could just as easily be something like the firmware not working well with that computer's chipset and it being fixed with an update on the router end. Wifi working between hardware made by different companies can be weird and annoying that way.

It will take me all night to explain the mysterious inner workings of IT hardware and software compatibilities issues and I don't have enough beer in my fridge to do that.

In the mean time, stick to basics and lets work together with suggestions that have been provided to you to resolve your issue.

This all stated this week I had an old wrt120n router and the computers wild all lose the connection... Indenter wold just go out when the workload seemed to get pret ty great. Did research the this sounds like the best router out there. Now after 240 dollars later having another crappy problem hopefully the update helps. I have 30 mb connection. Sb6141 modem and this new router with two networks on either channel and guest network I so pulls have a blazing network on all devices?

Quick update.

Still using .454 firmware.

After several tests, I have discovered that; Tx Power Adjustment setting of 80mW is the magic number. If I raise it by 25 or lower it by 25, my speed test suffers a great deal.

Raising it by 25mW, lowers the signal by 2%.
Lowering it by 25mW, lowers the signal by 20%

In both cases I get an average speed of 21Mbps.

After every change in router settings, I would reboot my router and power cycle NIC card.

My ISP speed is 28Mbps. I use Xfinity speed test sight since Xfinity is my cable provider.

Router; RT-AC68R

Last edited:
Have been getting consistent link speed and great Internet transfer and internal transfer on
.454. Improved over the previous 2 betas I tried and blows away all previous releases.
Do remember to restore to factory. Clear nvram and put settings in manually. Before coming to a conclusion.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!