What's new

New firmware - RT-ac68u - Version 3.0.0.4.374.454

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Client Status seems to be broken again on this firmware version.

I've rebooted the router 3 times (3 to 4 hrs interval per power-cycle) hoping I'll get the client status updated correctly but it's still not working.

The 'Refresh' button doesn't seem to do anything either (no spinning wheel or anything).

I'm stuck at the initial router boot-up client scan of about 11 to 13 clients but it won't go further than that. At full blown I should have over 30 clients like what my RT-N66U (on Merlin's 35_4 firmware) is showing (it's working concurrently on the same network as an AP/unmanaged switch).

I believe this problem dated back to the RT-N56U days and I'm kind of disappointed that it is still not resolved.

If Asus isn't going to solve it, then perhaps it'll be better to just remove this eye-sore of a feature (Client Status) completely. :(

Can someone post the "proper" way to do a reset after updating to this latest firmware on the 68U??

Can someone post the "proper" way to do a reset after updating to this latest firmware on the 68U??

turn off your device, and hold WPS button then turn on the router, you need to keep hold WPS button for 30s ( around), the router will rest and clean the ram.

i am getting ready to update my router from 205 to the newest version on asus website. Should i go ahead with the upgrade or leave my router as is? I just bought it yesterday. i'm not that technical on how to do it correctly.

turn off your device, and hold WPS button then turn on the router, you need to keep hold WPS button for 30s ( around), the router will rest and clean the ram.

out of curiousity, how different is this from clicking Restore Factory Default under Administration of router GUI access?

The rt-ac68u has a reset button on the back of the router above the power switch. Press and hold until unit reboots to restore to factory defaults.

i am getting ready to update my router from 205 to the newest version on asus website. Should i go ahead with the upgrade or leave my router as is? I just bought it yesterday. i'm not that technical on how to do it correctly.

205 has a lot of issues with it. Port forwarding won't work when HW acceleration is enabled, amongst other things. You should really upgrade to a newer version.

out of curiousity, how different is this from clicking Restore Factory Default under Administration of router GUI access?

I have the same question, should I use button to clear NVRAM or use "Restore Factory Default"? Or are the same thing?

Amazing how screwed up ASUS website can be..

I own a RT-AC68R and thanks to this forum for the last 2 weeks, I realize that it's the same as a RT-AC68U. So to get .371 I went to RT-AC68U and even though I have a Win 7 64 bit computer - I pulled the firware from 32 bit side. Worked and installed fine last week.

So now I tried the link in this thread and the RT-AC68 R and U plus all the choices for 32 and 64 bit downloads for .454 - NOTHING ?? Anybody please help :)

Thanks !

I own a RT-AC68R and thanks to this forum for the last 2 weeks, I realize that it's the same as a RT-AC68U. So to get .371 I went to RT-AC68U and even though I have a Win 7 64 bit computer - I pulled the firware from 32 bit side. Worked and installed fine last week.

So now I tried the link in this thread and the RT-AC68 R and U plus all the choices for 32 and 64 bit downloads for .454 - NOTHING ?? Anybody please help :)

Thanks !

Looks like it got pulled. It's still available from the Taiwanese site though: http://www.asus.com/tw/support/Download/11/2/RTAC68U/

Direct link: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC68U/FW_RT_AC68U_3004374454.zip

Hi All,

Sorry but this firmware has been pulled from the site due to compatibility issues with some client drivers. Based on positive feedback, this firmware will still be an overall improvement for many people so I am making it available here:

RT-AC68R 3.0.0.4.374.454: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5k0elm85qzz2fon/FW_RT_AC68R_3004374454.trx

RT-AC68U 3.0.0.4.374.454: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m9ithbv2650ozo0/RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374_454-g6ed564d.trx

For RT-AC56U owners:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7d24x6r6iwfnv5/RT-AC56U_3.0.0.4_374_454-g6ed564d.trx

Development is continuing to work on the firmware so please keep an eye out for the official update.

I haven't ran the stock Asus for long but is Asus going to put something in like sd-idle or is that already in there now?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I haven't ran the stock Asus for long but is Asus going to put something in like sd-idle or is that already in there now?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Depending on the controller, some drives should be capable of spinning down already. Discussion on these additions will be a lower priority until we resolve wireless performance issues for affected users.

Hi All,

Sorry but this firmware has been pulled from the site due to compatibility issues with some client drivers. Based on positive feedback, this firmware will still be an overall improvement for many people so I am making it available here:

RT-AC68R 3.0.0.4.374.454: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5k0elm85qzz2fon/FW_RT_AC68R_3004374454.trx

RT-AC68U 3.0.0.4.374.454: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m9ithbv2650ozo0/RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374_454-g6ed564d.trx

For RT-AC56U owners:

Development is continuing to work on the firmware so please keep an eye out for the official update.
We have not noticed any issues with our clients. In fact, overall performace seems much better on the 2.4GHz band. I was getting random disconnects while out on my patio. Since flashing 374.454 I have not had any disconnects. 5GHz band performance seems to be unaffected but it was fine with 374.371. You guys seems to be having a devil of a time rolling out this new driver. Will you still be making Betas available until a successor to 374.454 is rolled out?

Hi All,

Sorry but this firmware has been pulled from the site due to compatibility issues with some client drivers.

Is there any possibility you could be more specific as to which clients have reported problems?

I've had some flakey 5GHz performance (on both this firmware and the previous released one) with an Intel 5100 and a 5300 in the same laptop, and I wonder if it's the laptop having antenna issues or if it could be a compatibility issue with the Intel 5xxx cards. (My RT-AC68U works great with a 4965, a 6200, and a 7260 in other laptops.)

Hi All,

Appreciate if you guys can look into the Client Status (not updating after the initial detection) issue too.

Thank you :)

Update on RT-AC56U_3.0.0.4_374_454-g6ed564d.trx

Hi All,

For RT-AC56U owners:

Thanks Asusnet, here is a quick update:
- Updated the firmware with default settings restore and manually re-entering all the settings
- Bug #1: "Client status" - does not detect all the clients connected - with about 10 clients connected, it shows only 5 - and for those, does not resolve the names correctly (half shows the name, half MAC addresses)
- Bug #2: VPN Client does not retain the connected state after reboot - this is a very serious issue - ASUS, please fix it!
- Bug #3: With PIA VPN connected, there are still DNS issues - everything is fine when disconnected from PIA:confused:

- 2.4GHz performance - with very limited testing, looks like best ever on this router - THANK YOU!!!
- Question: is there anyway to access command console like in Merlin's firmware without telneting, etc.? [need to overclock to get back on VPN performance]

REQUESTS
- please fix the bugs reported above :)
- can you please add temperature gauge for CPU and wifi?
- can you please GUI command console?

Thanks again!

UPDATE: DNS issue is pretty bad. Even when I manually disconnect from VPN, I still cannot browse the internet. Only rebooting the router restored the connectivity.

Last edited:
After 24 hours with new firmware and the proper hardware reset, no issues with this fw. In other words, great performance just like the previous versions. Only 9 of my 18 or so clients showing in the Clients Status list though. So a teeny tiny non critical new bug apparently.

After 24 hours with new firmware and the proper hardware reset, no issues with this fw. In other words, great performance just like the previous versions. Only 9 of my 18 or so clients showing in the Clients Status list though. So a teeny tiny non critical new bug apparently.

UI not showing connected clients it is not exactly that tiny - and regardless, I think it is a regression - I remember that a couple of months ago people where complaining to Merlin that his FW version back then was not detecting all the connected clients while stock firmware was. Why to break something which was working?

Are you using VPN Client? Seems like no - but for many people that is very important feature and the main competitive advantage of ASUS over Netgear's R7K (stock Netgear firmware does not support VPN client).

I think it is low priority bug for a low cost residential home router. I pretty much never have a need to check the client list. If it is a regression, shame on ASUS. Regressions seem to be a common problem with large companies these days, weird...

No I don't use non-core router features like VPN in my residential ISP setup. Agreed that would be an annoying bug if common in average consumer setup. I'm just posting from the perspective of using this for basic router features. The signal strength and day to day performance of this router has been fantastic compared to my old N66U.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!