What's new

New firmware - RT-ac68u - Version 3.0.0.4.374.454

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just checked ASUS website and I noticed that 454 fw was gone.
does it mean we will see another new fw soon?

See just a few posts back in this very thread.

I just grabbed the pulled 454 update, and I'm definitely noticing an improvement in 2.4ghz throughput.

Haha the only thing that annoys me with Asus... why release a router with so many busted features / bugs initially in the first place!? Let it cook in the oven a bit more!

I just grabbed the pulled 454 update, and I'm definitely noticing an improvement in 2.4ghz throughput.

Haha the only thing that annoys me with Asus... why release a router with so many busted features / bugs initially in the first place!? Let it cook in the oven a bit more!

Its all about the competition - Netgear has their AC1900 released at the same time.

Its all about the competition - Netgear has their AC1900 released at the same time.

And apparently the R7000 was just as buggy as the RT-AC68U when it was released. Or so I have been told.

I have not experienced any slow downs on the 2.4 (haven't used 5ghz much on 454.) and I am at almost a week. I do have a 66u setup as a repeater so not sure if that changes something. Prior versions I would have to reset every couple days.

Spoke too soon last night had to reset since the 2.4 band was crawling.

Spoke too soon last night had to reset since the 2.4 band was crawling.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Mine just passed the 7 day mark w/o any issue. :p

The 'Client Status' miraculously returned to life (from the initial stall) on the 3rd day :rolleyes:

Dual Wan and USB 3 card

Yesterday installed 3.0.0.4.374_454. Two findings:

1. My USB 3 flash drive 32G with Ext3 file system stopped working. :eek::mad: Router comes to infinit loop of reboots after power on. Flash drive is good - it can be connected and works in other Linux devices. Without the drive in USB slot router boots up correctly.

2. Finally started working Dual Wan functionality in Fail Over mode!!! :p Router can recognise both networks and when one is disconnected switches correctly to another.

Only one issue here. :mad: When Primary network is restoried the router does not fail back to it and keeps using backup network. It is pretty inconvenient because backup usually is cheap and slow. It would be much better if router would fail back to Primary WAN when it is detected to be back available.

11n client slow via rt-ac68u

My laptop has a "ThinkPad 11b/g/n Wireless LAN Mini-PCI Express Adapter II" installed with the latest driver.

When using a wireless connection to my Ubiquiti PowerAP N router, I get throughput (measured by speedtest) of around 48 mbps (down).

When connecting to my new RT-AC68U (various ASUS and Merlin firmware), I'm lucky to get half that throughput, often quite a bit less. I have left all settings at their default values other than the WAN address, DHCP range and SSID.

Am I naive in thinking that the AC68U should handle 11n traffic at a speed at least as fast as the PowerAP? Is this a hardware limitation or is there hope that future firmware might address this difference?

Hi,
Just picked up this beauty and updated to this firmware .454.

Getting about 4MBytes/s transfer speed form local NAS.
NAS is connected via GB, Laptop connects at 867MHz with Intel AC-7260.
Seems ok ?

Also should I disable HW Acceleration?

And just an observation on the side, inSSIDer does not seem to support AC, only shows as "N".

Cheers

new firmware is out
FW_RT_AC68U_3.004.374.501

Tried it. It is not better than 3.0.0.4.374.454. Both issues still exist :(:

1. USB 3 Flash disk 32 Gb does not work - infinite router reboots loop.

2. Dual WAN in Fail Over mode does not fail back when primary line is up. If after router reboot backup line appeares to become active there is no way to work with primary line.

2. Dual WAN in Fail Over mode does not fail back when primary line is up. If after router reboot backup line appeares to become active there is no way to work with primary line.

This is a long-standing issue. Asus has been notified about it, but so far they don't seem to have addressed the issue (unless the new watchdog they recently added is the solution to this - have you played with those settings?)

watchdog....have you played with those settings?)

Yes I did. .

Initially when I enabled watchdog, primary wan (dsl) and secondary wan (usb modem) was behaving hugely erratic with each connecting disconnecting each almost 10 seconds. .

But after that I increased initial ping wait delay from default 0 to 90..

After that I tried few experiments of manually disconnecting and connecting these primary and secondary (by their power off and on) and it was switching back on properly. . It takes little time but it did work ..

Now there are some disconnections after some "longer" periods of 5 to 30 minutes gap, it switches to the other and gets back after some time. . Not sure it is because of what or if it is due to watchdog..

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

This is a long-standing issue. Asus has been notified about it, but so far they don't seem to have addressed the issue (unless the new watchdog they recently added is the solution to this - have you played with those settings?)

Yes, tried several configurations and finally turned dual wan setting off. Have backup connected to LAN port in router, so if needed can change connections manually.

Yes I did. .

Initially when I enabled watchdog, primary wan (dsl) and secondary wan (usb modem) was behaving hugely erratic with each connecting disconnecting each almost 10 seconds. .

But after that I increased initial ping wait delay from default 0 to 90..

After that I tried few experiments of manually disconnecting and connecting these primary and secondary (by their power off and on) and it was switching back on properly. . It takes little time but it did work ..

Now there are some disconnections after some "longer" periods of 5 to 30 minutes gap, it switches to the other and gets back after some time. . Not sure it is because of what or if it is due to watchdog..

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

nope.. dual wan with watch dog not working well at my end as well.. too much disconnection from primary to secondary each around 5 to 30 minutes.. had to stop dual wan altogether.. now steady on atleast one wan though i wonder when i will be able to take benefits of dual wan, was expecting out-of-the-box functionality in this release to market product but it seems we have a beta product in hand which was never fully ready to be launched.. because otherwise the features should work as expected for the product released in the market..

I've tried to get this new firmware via the "Firmware version check" but it keeps saying that I have the most current version - even though I'm still on 374_205.

Any other way to update the firmware?

I've tried to get this new firmware via the "Firmware version check" but it keeps saying that I have the most current version - even though I'm still on 374_205.

Any other way to update the firmware?

You have to download the file manually and upload it. There are 501 & 542 versions out.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!