What's new

New home network setup recommendations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

al2813

Occasional Visitor
I am looking to redo completely my home (and home office) network currently composed of ISP provided router plus some extra stuff. My current setup is:

- cable modem/router acting also as ground floor WIFI AP
- Main office GB switch (d-link)
- Small living room GB switch
- 1st floor Linksys router connected to the cable modem/router. It is in AP mode doing WIFI 1st floor AP + hub for multimedia/console upstairs.

I would like to go into a more SOHO type of setup and my idea is pretty much replacing everything. Need recommendations as to general setup as well as specific HW/SW:

- I will put My ISP modem/router in bridge mode and put behind it a dedicated router to control all traffic at home. I would also like to step up security so FW/UTM capabilities are a plus. As my technical knowledge is limited I would like to have something that is easy to configure and maintain (no CLI please :). I've seen a lot of recommendations for running a Sophos UTM on a dedicated fanless NUC type of box.
- WIFI will be separated and I will get 2 APs for this purpose. I am pretty much decided to go for Unifi AC PRO for those.
- Do I need to replace my switch (currently a basic D-link)? Is there value in having a managed switch? I will need POE though to feed the Unifi APs.
- Can I keep my living room small switch hanging off the office main switch? I assume yes.
- Replace upstairs Linksys with a small switch similar to the one in the living room.

Many thanks for your advice/recommendations.

my first question would be whats the need for the extra security as for the most case you are well enough protected behind a nat and fw that would already exist in your current device

you current setup seems to be working well for you so im not sure there is much need for change unless you just want to spend money and achieve very little performance wise

if (and its a big if) you can bridge the cable modem in the first place you could prob look at a better router but once you get into UTM your looking at business grade stuff which in general is both complex and not all that intuitive and as you said your technical knowledge is limited it would prob be a steep learning curve , something like an asus wireless router with aiprotection or synology and its IPS is prob a better way to go for you

your prob going well overboard with the unifi pro's as well as im sure a couple of unifi lites would be sufficient , how many 1300M 5 gig clients do you have anyway ( if any )

Do I need to replace my switch (currently a basic D-link)? Is there value in having a managed switch?
you many need a switch with POE but it doesnt need to be managed as such

Can I keep my living room small switch hanging off the office main switch? I assume yes.
sure a switch is a switch

Replace upstairs Linksys with a small switch similar to the one in the living room.
sure but again why not kill 2 birds with one stone and just have a router in ap mode

if you can justify the expense and reasoning behind swapping almost everything out then go ahead but what will you get in the end

so if it where me i would just bridge the cable modem and run a synology or asus wireless router down stairs and run a similar wifi spec router upstairs

[QUOTE="
so if it where me i would just bridge the cable modem and run a synology or asus wireless router down stairs and run a similar wifi spec router upstairs[/QUOTE]

I would second this recommendation but I would add that you should probably buy your own cable modem particularly if you don't have telephone and/or security from your ISP and save the monthly rental fee.

The modem router is free and I can bridge it. I have a WIFI coverage issue in my bedroom (for some reason something there makes the signal drop significantly). The Linksys sits in the room across the hallway (where my 2nd tv and console sit), and the Unifi will enable me to put it in the hallway or even in my room.
Not looking to spend money for nothing, but I do have a very active LAN (20+ devices between computers, NAS, tablets and mobile phones) and 3-4 of them streaming in parallel very often, and I would like to get solid routing as well as WIFI. Am also concerned about security, but this is more generic than specific....

The modem router is free and I can bridge it. I have a WIFI coverage issue in my bedroom (for some reason something there makes the signal drop significantly). The Linksys sits in the room across the hallway (where my 2nd tv and console sit), and the Unifi will enable me to put it in the hallway or even in my room.
Not looking to spend money for nothing, but I do have a very active LAN (20+ devices between computers, NAS, tablets and mobile phones) and 3-4 of them streaming in parallel very often, and I would like to get solid routing as well as WIFI. Am also concerned about security, but this is more generic than specific....

Your network isn't that large for a home network. I have 68 devices registered on my LAN including four Tivo's that connect using Ethernet, Rokus, Chrome streaming devices, smart TVs along with PCs, phones tablets. Don't spend more than you need to.