What's new

New House, Need Advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lalato

Occasional Visitor
I moved to a new rental home, new to me anyway. It's actually an old Victorian, but the electrical wiring was updated in a recent renovation.

Due to it's "unique" layout, the internet comes in at the front of the house. I have a nice Asus AC1900 router, but as you can probably imagine speeds leave a bit to be desired at the back of the house. Lots of walls between the router and that back room.

So this leads me to you fine folks. I'm thinking of getting one of those combo powerline av2 + wifi kits to boost the performance. Is there any product I should definitely avoid? Or is it good to just grab anything from TrendMicro, TP-Link, or Netgear?

Thanks!

Does the electrical panel have arc fault breakers or whole house surge arrest ? Either can cause issues with powerline. Was the house rewired or is it the old wiring ?
Your best bet is if you can find two circuits on the same side, LH or RH, of the breaker panel and plug into those wall plugs.
AV2 has a good chance of working reasonably.

Read the powerline guides and testing to get a better understanding of what you are working with so you have a better chance of success. Specific modules will stand out in the testing.

Does the electrical panel have arc fault breakers or whole house surge arrest ? Either can cause issues with powerline. Was the house rewired or is it the old wiring ?

I don't see any arc fault breakers... not sure if there is a surge arrester, but I don't see any mention of one. I believe that there is a mix of old and new wiring. Since the TP-Link and TrendNet seem to have decent performance, I'll start with one of those kits.

Ordering the TP-Link TL-WPA8630P KIT. Since I have limited outlets in the back of the house, I need the passthrough. Thanks for helping me think through the process!

get the best powerline you can afford because you have an old house it will work well but be prepared to see poor speeds. Even my AV2000 tp link kits benchmarked 200mb/s in a 2 story house + attic where im on the first floor and the other point on ground floor, physically and in cabling the distance is short but it has to pass through some basic fuses.

Dont get powerlines that include a switch or wifi, you will regret it. Add wifi and switches separately.

The best powerlines are those that dont include a switch, come with gigabit ethernet ports and have a passthrough to plug stuff into it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!