What's new

New Multiple WAPs Wi-Fi installation in Retirement Home / Hotel : Need advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The range doesn't change too much, what does improve is the throughput at long range.

I haven't used an RT-AC87U yet, but follow all the posts on it on these forums. The 5GHz drop seems to have been fixed for most users in the last firmware or two.

Be very careful with what is defined as a plenum space. Drop ceiling are usually used as a return for the HVAC units. That will make it a plenum.
If you get an inspection by a Fire Marshall for something completely unrelated, say a renovation they may find it. If this happens you can get either fined and or shut down until all violations are removed. This applies to both the equipment and cabling.

Be very careful with what is defined as a plenum space.
OK thanks Cloud200. That's good to know. I've talked with the owner / builder and he said that their drop ceiling weren't used for ventilation at all, but I'll double check with him about the HVAC return.

Sorry for not being clear enough : The RT-AC87U OR the RT-AC3200 has the better throughput at long range?

Both. Seems like almost all the latest AC designs have peaked with regards to distance. What varies is their ability to hold a connection at that range and what throughput they can achieve there.

OK L&LD thank you very much for you help this week. I really appreciate it. I now need to go there and do the install. I might have some questions later on. Also a big thanks to stevech, azazel1024, Cloud200!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!