What's new

New Office Cabling Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hravsnb

New Around Here
Hi Guys,

I will be moving to a new office space, a newly built building. This will be the office space that I will be using for the next decade so I want to have a proper network cabling.

The office space will have bare concrete floor, meaning I need to either install carpets or tiles. I prefer the latter as I'm located in Jakarta, Indonesia. I've seen offices with carpets, they don't look good, they smell, and dusty. So, I'm quite certain that I would put tiles on the bare concrete floor.

Now, my questions are: how would you install Cat6 ethernet cable in the office? What's the best place? Would you put them under the floor? Or put it up above the ceiling?

If I put them under the floor, would I need to raise the height of the floor?

I can virtually do anything to the space before I move to the new place. I have 20ish employees, that means 20ish computers that need to have wired connection. There are a server, a Cisco SMB router, a gigabit switch, a WiFi, and, a Synology NAS. I can figure out how to set them up. Cabling is the only thing that I need some suggestions.

Last edited:
If you have a drop ceiling that is where you want to run your lines.

If not, one of the cheaper solutions is to use a wall mounted cable tray.
http://www.cableorganizer.com/snake-tray/
That is a brand name version, there are less expensive ways to get the same result.

Last option is to mount 2" raceway to the edge of the wall and lay the cables in that. Come out with surface mounted boxes.
http://www.icc.com/c/63/wiring-ducts

I would avoid floor mounting cables at nearly any cost unless it is being done right. I.e. with a channel cut out of the floor and a conduit later and embedded, or raised removable tiles.

You can use wall cabling or floor cabling or both. When laying floor cabling you dont have to raise the floor, instead you can use a pipe and distribute the wires from a central way. On the ceiling it is good to put access points unless you want your office to look like a meteor impacted nearby. Same for wall cablings you can use pipes as well.

By pipe i mean a rectangular pipe like they use to distribute both power and ethernet in a number of places. Ceiling mounts use some sort of tiny walkway for cables hanged from the ceiling.

I will be moving to a new office space, a newly built building. This will be the office space that I will be using for the next decade so I'm planning to have a proper network cabling.

The office space will have bare concrete floor, meaning I need to either install carpeting or tiles. I prefer the latter as I'm located in Jakarta, Indonesia. I've seen offices with carpets, they don't look good, they smell, and dusty. So, I'm quite certain that I would put tiles on the bare concrete floor.

Now, my questions are: how would you install Cat6 ethernet cable in the office? What's the best place? Would you put them under the floor? Or put it up above the ceiling?

It would be wise to invest in the time of a local professional - esp if you're going greenfield into a new office space. They may have options that you might not be aware of... ask the landlord for any recommendations/referrals, and before bringing them on to consult, interview them like any potential employee..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!