What's new

New owner of ASUS RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rockboy247

New Around Here
Afternoon guys,

So yesterday I decided to take the plunge and pick up a new router, this was the ASUS RT-AC86U.

After putting up with the Virgin Media Super Hub for 3-4 years now I thought it was time to put that into modem mode and try out a separate router to see what I have been missing out on.

So I started looking through these forums, and boy, there is a lot of information about these routers and the firmware you can put on them, in fact, its bloody well overwhelming.

One thing I have decided is that I am going load on Merlin to the router, that seems the go-to. My real question is though, once this is on, what sort of addons should i look into loading?

An area i am interested in is ad blocking, I was going to purchase a raspberry PI and set up PI hole but i believe the router itself should be okay at doing this.

I know this is probably asked all the time, i have looked and it seems overwhelming, so please, let me know what i should look at adding for my first steps.

any more information please let me know what i need to include

I would recommend Merlin 384.19, add a thumb drive, USB 2, format to EXT4 with a 1024 MB swap file, and add Diversion for add blocking. Be sure to check that the /JFFS is mounted after flashing Merlin and do a hard factory reset!

Afternoon guys,

So yesterday I decided to take the plunge and pick up a new router, this was the ASUS RT-AC86U.

After putting up with the Virgin Media Super Hub for 3-4 years now I thought it was time to put that into modem mode and try out a separate router to see what I have been missing out on.

So I started looking through these forums, and boy, there is a lot of information about these routers and the firmware you can put on them, in fact, its bloody well overwhelming.

One thing I have decided is that I am going load on Merlin to the router, that seems the go-to. My real question is though, once this is on, what sort of addons should i look into loading?

An area i am interested in is ad blocking, I was going to purchase a raspberry PI and set up PI hole but i believe the router itself should be okay at doing this.

I know this is probably asked all the time, i have looked and it seems overwhelming, so please, let me know what i should look at adding for my first steps.

any more information please let me know what i need to include

I suggest you commission your new router with current released Asuswrt firmware and use it for a few weeks to confirm it is healthy and to establish a working baseline network in your space with your clients. Once all is stable and your confidence is high, go nuts with add-ons.

OE

I would recommend Merlin 384.19, add a thumb drive, USB 2, format to EXT4 with a 1024 MB swap file, and add Diversion for add blocking. Be sure to check that the /JFFS is mounted after flashing Merlin and do a hard factory reset!

Its just arrived and i have flashed it with Merlin, already the speeds are much better in one of the rooms i struggle to get decent speeds in!

Going to look into getting diversion set up but need to find a pen drive and figure out how to get it to a Linux formatting and also sort out a swap file on it!

Thank you for the quick response, do you know anything about skynet for these routers at all?

Look in my signature below for the scripts I use.

The order of the scripts (I am not recommending you install all of them, of course) is in the link below.

Order of installing popular scripts | SmallNetBuilder Forums

The details of the scripts can be found here.

amtm - the Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu - Diversion

If you want to have a guide to get this to work with best practices, see the link below for the amtm Step-by-Step Guide. Just note installing amtm is no longer required.

L&LD | SmallNetBuilder Forums

Before doing any of the above, you may want to look at the same link above and be sure you followed the steps for the M&M Config and ideally, the Nuclear Reset guides.

I think this will keep you on the straight and narrow for now. :)

Look in my signature below for the scripts I use.

The order of the scripts (I am not recommending you install all of them, of course) is in the link below.

Order of installing popular scripts | SmallNetBuilder Forums

The details of the scripts can be found here.

amtm - the Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu - Diversion

If you want to have a guide to get this to work with best practices, see the link below for the amtm Step-by-Step Guide. Just note installing amtm is no longer required.

L&LD | SmallNetBuilder Forums

Before doing any of the above, you may want to look at the same link above and be sure you followed the steps for the M&M Config and ideally, the Nuclear Reset guides.

I think this will keep you on the straight and narrow for now. :)

Cheers for the links, managed to set everything up! Was having issues with the amazon app on my android device, had to disable pixelserve-tls

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!