What's new

New router suggestions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Scruffbag

New Around Here
The time has come to replace my ageing WNR854T, and I could use some recommendations.

My primary concern is wireless to wired speed, as I will be using a Zyxel NSA325 as a target for Time Machine backups, and my laptop doesn't have an Ethernet port. It will also need to cope with multiple devices streaming Internet tv, and must play nice with bonjour (current router crashes if I leave iTunes running).

My instinct is to get an AirPort Extreme (I value apple's customer support), so I don't mind spending top dollar on a router. However, if I pay high-end money, I expect high-end quality (eg. No half-baked admin interfaces, a la Asus Dark Knight etc).

Given my experiences with my current router, I would be reluctant to buy another Netgear product, but I will consider all recommendations.

Thanks,
Ed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The time has come to replace my ageing WNR854T, and I could use some recommendations.

My primary concern is wireless to wired speed, as I will be using a Zyxel NSA325 as a target for Time Machine backups, and my laptop doesn't have an Ethernet port.

I've not seen a laptop without an Ethernet port.

Go with an Apple WiFi thing if you don't mind the price, AND if ALL your computers, tablets, laptops, are Apple. If you have a mix, don't use an Apple WiFi router/AP.

There are lots of good WiFi routers and APs. Most of this is discussed in a different topic in this forum. See the reviews here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply stevech :)

My laptop is a MacBook Pro with Retina, which is physically too thin to accommodate an Ethernet port. I can get an adapter, but if I'm going to have to plug something in, I might as well carry on using an esata/usb3 external drive.

I do have a windows desktop, but I barely use it (gaming) and the rest of my devices are apple.

I've been reading the reviews on this site, which is why I'm looking at alternatives to the AirPort, but I'd like to hear what knowledgeable people would recommend. Could you point me to the forum thread you mentioned? My google-fu is failing :(

Thanks again,
Ed

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/view

If you've got the Apple religion - I'd recommend paying the premium for Apple WiFi. They need the revenue.

Not much to do with religion - the apple gear I have just happened to be the best fit for my needs. I'm trying to determine whether that is true of their router or not.

Thanks for the link, but I've already had a look at the various charts, and came to the forums hoping for a first hand-account of what different routers are like to live with etc.

Unfortunately the charts don't give an easily comparable indication of the router's overall quality and value.

Thanks

ED, my setup is similar to yours. I use the n66u with zero issues. My broadband is 100 down, and I get 75-80 wireless with my MBA. We use Apple TV, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, iMac, time machine, etc with zero issues with lag or downtime.

Feel free to PM me for more detailed info.

Mike