What's new

New Router with Removable Antennae

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tbutler@ofb.biz

Regular Contributor
I'm interested in using a modern Netgear router (preferably just to keep things simple with other routers I'm using, or I'm open to something else) to replace an old Linksys WRT54G I use with a bespoke wireless antenna (an old DBS satellite dish) I made years ago as a wireless extender across a parking lot. I can't seem to find a clear picture of which Netgear wireless routers have removable antennae, though, so I could use one of them for this task. I read online that the Nighthawk R6700 does, but the R6700v3 that I have in my office does not appear to have removable antennae.

What would be a good option for a low cost router to do this? It doesn't need to be anything fancy, obviously, since it is replacing a WRT54G.

I know for sure the R7000, R7000P and the R7800 have removable antenna's.

Thanks, @Kal-EL! I have an R7000 as my home router and love it. Perhaps the way I should go. Do you know anything about the Nighthawk AC2400 (it doesn't have a model number distinct from that)? It seems to be a Best Buy exclusive and looks similar to the R7800; it even has detachable antennas and is on sale for $90. I can't seem to discern what downsides it has compared to non-Best Buy equivalents.

Thanks, @Kal-EL! I have an R7000 as my home router and love it. Perhaps the way I should go. Do you know anything about the Nighthawk AC2400 (it doesn't have a model number distinct from that)? It seems to be a Best Buy exclusive and looks similar to the R7800; it even has detachable antennas and is on sale for $90. I can't seem to discern what downsides it has compared to non-Best Buy equivalents.

Not sure what differences there are in those models. I am sure someone else will know and post here.