What's new

New router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jpdsc

Regular Contributor
Good morning, afternoon, evening,

Today I am upgrading my N66U for an AC66U.
My N66U has scripts, cron jobs, Port FW and VPN running.

Is there any easy way to transfer this to the new router or do I have to re-apply all settings manually?

Thanks in advance.

To add to thelonelycoder's post, there's a Quickstart Guide in the download of John's NVRAM save and restore utility. There are 2 backup modes. Here's a couple of extracts from that guide, what I don't know is which backup mode would be best for you i.e. whether or not an AC66U would be classed as different to the N66; if so, I guess you'd need migration mode. (I've not yet used this tool but intend to do so.)

" -b Backup mode - save for restore to same router (default)
-m Migration mode - transfer settings to another router"

"To start the backup process

./nvram-save.sh (This executes the script in Backup Mode, you should see Saving messages.)
./nvram-save.sh -M (This executes the script in Migration Mode, for moving the settings from one router to another.
In this mode some settings are not copied, for example the wireless transmit power.)"

Thanks both for the quick explanation! Really appreciate it.
Will try once the router arrives and let you know :)

One question. I have ABS and Pixelserv installed, can I just move the USB drive from one router to another?

After firmware install and jffs enabled, reboot. Then plug the unchanged USB device in and manually start AB with:
sh /mnt/<your device>/ab-solution.sh

This will detect the old installation and re-create all necessary scripts in jffs.
This might take a little while to sort out but will work. AB is designed to fix itself this way.

One question. I have ABS and Pixelserv installed, can I just move the USB drive from one router to another?
There's one thing that might be a problem for the Entware install.
If your new router runs on a ARM processor then this will not work.
I believe the newer AC66U run on ARM not MIPS.

There's one thing that might be a problem for the Entware install.
If your new router runs on a ARM processor then this will not work.
I believe the newer AC66U run on ARM not MIPS.

Thanks. I haven't received the router yet. I will check once I received it. If I see it's indeed ARM; I will only do the NVRAM restore and install ABS + Pixelserv from scratch. Shouldn't take long anyway :).

I asked John which option of his NVRAM Save and Restore Utility would be the correct one to use:

"Always use the backup option if the source and target are the same router. If the source and target are different routers, use the migrate option (even if they are the same model)."

So you'd need the migrate option.

Hey all,

I tried the migration option and it worked. However, after rebooting the router for some reason it was really slow. After doing a factory reset I did everything manually (took me 30 minutes) but everything is working fine again :).

@thelonelycoder, for ABS, it found the old installation and re-installed ;-)

Thanks again.

Hey all,

I tried the migration option and it worked. However, after rebooting the router for some reason it was really slow. After doing a factory reset I did everything manually (took me 30 minutes) but everything is working fine again :).

@thelonelycoder, for ABS, it found the old installation and re-installed ;-)

Thanks again.
The way to use it is to do a factory reset, THEN restore your migrated nvram-save.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!