What's new

New RT-N66U Cannot Login

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DocMac

New Around Here
I've been lurking here for a few months and this is my first post. There is a similar post on the ASUS support forums that I am watching but I thought that I would check over here as well. I used the search function but couldn't find anything similar on these forums.

I was trying to get the router setup last night and had some issues loggin into the router's GUI to set up security, etc. I was working from a Dell laptop running under Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and using IE. Using the browser got me exactly nowhere. When I used the setup wizard, it told me that my PC and the router were on different subnet masks. I didn't look up the computers subnet mask, in part, because I didn't know what I was supposed to do with that information. I went through all of the troubleshooting tips in the manual but none of them helped.

Has anyone experienced or heard of a similar problem? Any suggustions would be appreciated.

Are you connected to the router via ethernet cable? If not, try that.

Does your laptop have a static IP? If so, you need to change it to a dynamic IP (it's somewhere in your laptop's network adapter settings) so that the router can assign your laptop an IP address from the same subnet as the router is on. This way the two will be able to see each other.

Last edited:
Make sure your computer's network interface is configured for an automatic (DHCP) IP and not with a static IP. That way, the router will automatically give it an IP within its network range.

Assuming you are using 192.168.xxx.yyy, the subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 - automatically allocated by the router.

Sorry, I meant to mention I was able to connect to the internet via wired connection to the router. I was able to connect wirelessly to the router from another computer but this connection was local only (no internet).

If I remember correctly, everything is set to automatic, dynamic, etc. The trouble shooting tips in the manual cover that, I think.