What's new

New WD80EFAX WD RED Drives Noisy

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

indyjonesuk

New Around Here
Hi All,

Not sure if any one else has come across this, but I have recently had to replace a couple of my drives (WD Reds) so I purchased new 8TB drives (also WD red).

The problem I am having is these new drives "WD80EFAX-68KNBN0" run hotter and a lot nosier than their 8TB "WD80EFAX-68LHPN0"counterparts. They are so loud I can hear the hum of the new drives across the (small) room where as the old ones were pretty much silent.

I have run a couple of drive checkers and the drives are reported as fine, and the hum is a rotational noise rather than the grind of bearings.

Has anybody come across this issue with these drives please?

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't mention noise but it confirms your observation regarding the temperature. It makes the point that despite the similar model numbers they are actually different designs, one is a WD drive and the other is HGST. So it's not to surprising that the temperature and noise characteristics are different.

Thanks I missed that on my first read. It's a shame the new ones are so disappointing.
I will have to look into the returns policy....