What's new

Newbie looking for help with bridge mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zabba

New Around Here
Hello,

I have a TP-Link TD-8840T and I have tried setting TD-8840T to bridge mode to let my router (Asus RT-56U) do the routing part and use TD-8840T as just as a modem.
But I can't seem to do it right, or I am missing something.

My connection is ADSL2+, Dynamic IP and IPoE, most settings on both devices are factory settings and both devices use the latest official firmware.
I set the bridge mode by going to 8840T's GUI -> quick setup -> next -> insert VPI (0) and VCI (100) -> select Bridge -> save
Now i get a page with "WAN Connection Releasing: Succes" and "WAN Connection Configuring: Succes" indicating it should be working properly, also the internet LED turns off from the device, as it should.
Now the TD-8840T should be in bridge mode and work as a modem only, right?
Windows says I have internet connection, my router (RT-56U) says I am connected to the internet, but I can't actually acces internet at all, no pages load at all. I can still acces both the TD-8840T and RT-56U.

TD-8840T is connected from phonejack to TD-8840T WAN, TD-8840T LAN1 to WAN in RT-56U and the power cable is on.
RT-56U is connected WAN to TD-8840T LAN1, RT-56U LAN1 to PC1, RT-56U to LAN2 and the power cable is on.
So it's like: | phonejack >>>> TD-8840-T (WAN) >>>> TD-8840-T LAN 1 to RT-56U WAN >>>> RT-56U LAN 1 to PC

Using TD-8840T as both router and modem, with quick connect selecting Dynamic IP and same physical connections, the internet is accesable so neither device should be faulty.

Am I missing something? Have I forgot to do something? Should I do something more?

Please help,
Thank you
smile.png

I'm trying to accomplish the same goal but with different hardware. I have a TD-8817 ADSL modem that I also tried to place in bridge mode so that the router, Archer C7 will do all the NAT. I'm still working on a solution, but I thought I'd offer what I have tried and hopefully we will learn from the very knowledgeable experts on this forum. A few things I've learned from researching this topic is that you need to reconfigure your RT-56U as well. Perhaps you did that step, but I didn't see it mentioned in your post. My ISP is a PPPoE interface and requires login. This is stored in the modem but in bridge mode you may need to store it in the router, since it is now the interface to the WAN. I believe you also need to release and renew the IP address in the router so it can request a public IP. These are the steps I tried but my router still shows a LAN IP address. Not sure what 'm doing wrong, but I'll likely need to get support from TP Link and ISP to solve this.