What's new

Newbie Needs Help! VPN Setup Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bluegrass Picker

New Around Here
Hi, I have an Asus RT-N10P router that I setup a PPTP VPN server on using [myname].asuscomm.com as the DDNS. (I know it's an old and cheap router, but it works and I'm on a budget - sorry).

After registering the DDNS I received a message that registration was successful and that signon could be either [myname].asuscomm.com or xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (IP address) .asuscomm.com. The IP address was the same as my ISP's assigned dynamic address that is displayed when testing using various net IP online tools prior to enabling the VPN server.

When I enable the VPN client on my Win7 and Win10 computers, I see both the wireless and VPN connections on the PC have Internet access.

With the router VPN server enabled and the clients connected, if I do an IP address test, the same ISP IP address is returned when both wireless and VPN are connected on the client, and the same IP address is returned when only the wireless is connected and the VPN is disconnected on the client. Additionally the ISP name and my location are returned in both instances.

Is this normal? I thought the IP address should be re-routed to an address for asuscomm.com and mine should be hidden?

There is no option in the standard firmware of this router for OpenVPN, only for PPTP. Is there some setting I'm needing to change or add in the setup of the VPN to make the IP address change from mine to the asuscomm.com address with PPTP?

One last question: When I disconnect the wireless connection in the PC client and just leave the VPN connected, there is no Internet access. Is that normal? Does both need to be connected at all times for the VPN to be active? Or is there a way that only the VPN on the client can be active with Internet access?

These are probably really basic newbie questions and I apologize, but I've spent *hours* digging on the web and I can't find the answers. I've done lots of computer tech stuff over the years, but this is the first attempt at a VPN setup.

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

Bluegrass Picker