What's new

Newbie question regarding AsusRt-Ac66u router configuration.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tomx2

New Around Here
Hi.

I'm a noob using network connectivity so please bear with me.
I normally surf internet at a StarBucks or the Local Library.
Lately my internet use increased. Decided I will order (next month) full Internet service from an ISP (Time Warner) provider. Use their Modem(free) and purchase a AsusRt-Ac66u router.

I'll start with 100 mbps internet speed for Web Surfing, Heavy Video streaming and moderate Downloading.

Will use AusRt-Ac66u router for wired only instead of wireless for these 3 reasons:
1 Using just one connection, my PC (XPS 13 9390) for home use. No other external devices.

2 Have a small apartment on the 4th floor of a 20 floor building. Very congested area.

3 Plan to purchase a Nvidia Shield Android Box for my HD TV. Was told Ethernet works better with Android Box.

Just not sure wireless connectivity will give me the speed in the environment I currently reside.

Have a One+3T Android phone. I would like (on occasions) connect to the Internet when not using my PC.

2 Questions:

1. Just looking at the AusRt-Ac66u user guide online, I'm not clear how to configure the wired settings on this router. Is it just keeping your PC plugged into your LAN port (router) then establish username/password credentials in the setup wireless screen first time?

2. I mention wanting to use my Android Phone in my Home Network. If my router is Wired only, how can I connect my Android phone to use the internet on my network?

Can I change the router setting to switch from Ethernet to Wireless on the fly? Or are there some 3rd party adapters I can connect my Phone with the Router?

Thanks.
TC.

1. For wired (Ethernet) connections you just plug in the cable. That's all, nothing else. No user names or passwords. If you want to enable WiFi connections then you will need to name your Wifi connection and give it a password.

2. Phone's don't have wired connections. There's probably someone in China selling USB to Ethernet converters for phones but honestly, why bother. Just turn on the WiFi on the router. It's just an On/Off button in the router's GUI.

P.S. Is your router an RT-AC66U or an RT-AC66U_B1 ? Despite the similar names the _B1 model is significantly better than the other one.

@CollinTaylor
Thanks for the quick reply.
I think this Newbie just got it.

When I want wired only, I will just connect the Ethernet cable to the Lan & PC port. Turn off the wifi switch.

When I want to use my Android phone for wifi connection on this router.
- Turn on wifi switch.
- Setup a wpa2 Username/Password (first time only) for security purposes.
- Remove the Ethernet cable from the Lan and PC port.

I will buy the AusRt-AC66U_B1, advertise on Amazon for $94.99.

TC.

Yes you've got it.

Double check the model number has the "_B1" when it arrives. Because of the confusing naming some sellers have accidentally sent out the older model.
ruci06.png

BTW You don't have to unplug the Ethernet cable just because you've enabled the WiFi ;).