What's new

NFS client on 384.9

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nbdwt73

Regular Contributor
I have an NFS mount on a router running 380.70 with no issues - NFS is running by default. Further info below (tried to edit/delete this post for changes but system wouldn't let me...)

Last edited:
I have an NFS mount on a router running 380.70 with no issues - NFS is running by default. I have tried to replicate the mount on 384.8-2 with no luck. NFS is running (ps | grep -i nfs shows it running) but whenever I attempt to mount a share on this router I get an error.

mount -t nfs 192.168.100.110:/test /mnt/QB -o nfsvers=3,nolock
pmap_getmaps.c: rpc problem: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection timed out
mount: RPC: Remote system error - Connection refused
mount: mounting 192.168.100.110:/test on /mnt/QB failed: Bad file descriptor

What am I missing? Thanks...

Last edited:
If I try to mount this way...
192.168.100.110:/myth/net_backups/VPN/Backup/QB /mnt/QB nfs vers=3,nolock,proto=tcp 0 0
-sh: 192.168.100.110:/myth/net_backups/VPN/Backup/QB: not found

yet showmount -e 192.168.100.110 shows:
Export list for 192.168.100.110:
/myth/net_backups/VPN/Backup/QB *

When you moved from 380.70 to 384.8_2 did you also change routers to an AC86 or AX88? It's possible that NFS is having problems with the new 4.1 kernel in those models.

Your mount command appears to be incorrect. You are trying to mount "/test" when the shared directory is called "/myth/net_backups/VPN/Backup/QB".

Your post #2 error is because that is not a command, it is a line from fstab.

First of all I have to apologize for this post... I am trying to do this remotely on a phone and it doesn't work well - to Colin's point(s) I have tried this with line entries and from boot entries (fstab) - none work. My lame attempt was to show that I had tried every permutation that i could think of. (Colin, the issue with the test directory was simply that - a test. I added the directory so that I could easily test with other machines on the network. I can mount that NFS share to other devices on the same subnet without issue.)

That said, John9527 may have answered it because I did move to an 86U and that is when the problem started... So the next question is has anyone gotten NFS to work well on an RT-AC86U?

So you are saying that there is nothing wrong with the NFS server on the 86U because other devices on the LAN can mount its shares without problem. The issue is with just one client device that cannot connect to the NFS server? Correct?

So you are saying that there is nothing wrong with the NFS server on the 86U because other devices on the LAN can mount its shares without problem. The issue is with just one client device that cannot connect to the NFS server? Correct?
yes...

What are the details of the client device.
It is an RT-AC86U running latest build. I have an RT-68U running 380-70 that will mount the share just fine. The share is on a linux box on the same subnet - it has several shares mounted onto several other clients so I know that it works fine.

It is an RT-AC86U running latest build. I have an RT-68U running 380-70 that will mount the share just fine. The share is on a linux box on the same subnet - it has several shares mounted onto several other clients so I know that it works fine.
Sorry, you just said the NFS server was on an 86U, now you're saying it's on a Linux box.:confused:

I'm confused too...

is the share on the AC86 being access by another client? OR
is the share on a linux box and the client is the AC86?

Sorry - I must be drinking something... The share is on a linux server. The Asus router is the client - the mount of the share is done on the Asus.

Try NFSv2.

Try NFSv2.
Thanks for the direction... I thought about that (on the RT-AC68U the "Enable NFSV2" radio button is visible on the USB Applications/NFS Exports screen) but on the 86U the radio button is visible only for a second and then disappears. Can I set it via nvram?

Thanks for the direction... I thought about that (on the RT-AC68U the "Enable NFSV2" radio button is visible on the USB Applications/NFS Exports screen) but on the 86U the radio button is visible only for a second and then disappears. Can I set it via nvram?
That page is for the NFS server on the router, not the client command. Try using "nfsvers=2".

That page is for the NFS server on the router, not the client command. Try using "nfsvers=2".
My ignorance. I tried nfsvers=2, nfsvers=3 before I posted this thread... Same results

For the record:
mount -t nfs -o nolock,nfsvers=2 192.168.100.110:/test /mnt/QB
pmap_getmaps.c: rpc problem: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection timed out

Thanks...

My ignorance. I tried nfsvers=2, nfsvers=3 before I posted this thread... Same results

For the record:
mount -t nfs -o nolock,nfsvers=2 192.168.100.110:/test /mnt/QB

Thanks...
Have you tried to remove colon after 192.168.100.110?

Try looking for relevant messages in the syslog of the Linux server as that seems to be the device refusing your connection. Also, if it has a firewall enabled try temporarily turning it off.

That's because the 4.1 kernel used by the RT-AC86U no longer supports v2.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!