What's new

NO budget suggestions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

neccros

New Around Here
OK... I have a Intel miniITX board with 3 gigs (Boards limit is 4gigs) of RAM. on it is a core 2 duo @ 2.93ghz

Currently running FreeNAS in UFS with 2 2TB drives mirrored. It runs great and meets my needs... Eventually I will have 4 2TB drives and the same hardware.

What are your suggestions for drive redundancy with this setup??? Some other NAS software? Win the lottery and buy a proper NAS???

Help!

NewEgg's got 4Tb HGST Deskstar NAS for $169... 4Tb WD Blacks for $199... I think it runs thru Oct 3.

How's that for destroying a budget?!!

I really do like that lottery idea, though...

I already have the drives... I am trying to make it work with what I have hence the ZERO budget....

Yes, sorry - I was just kickin' ya. I mean... if ya win that lottery, ya know who to call to waste more money, right?

But a question you might answer: What are the files you're storing? Is this backup for ?? home ?? office ?? Does it have media services? How portable does this need to be? (The MiniITX makes me think "tucked away but accessible" but perhaps "portable for re-locating".)

(And those drive-prices are OK, but not the best I've seen...)

But a question you might answer: What are the files you're storing? Is this backup for ?? home ?? office ?? Does it have media services? How portable does this need to be? (The MiniITX makes me think "tucked away but accessible" but perhaps "portable for re-locating".)

Basically all personal files... I created my own universal storage file structure that I have on a key drive so If I set up a clean drive, I copy those folders over in one shot instead of having to manually do it everytime. Also ALL my systems whether its a laptop, desktop or server, all of them will have the same file structure.

I have it broken down to images, documents, music, videos, etc... Right now as I have FreeNAS setup its using UFS with 2 drives mirrored and it works great. I can play music, movies no problem off of my NAS. It is a miniITX only because its what I had laying around. Its installed into a Lian Li case thats rather dead silent when running which I am happy about.

Last edited:
NewEgg's got 4Tb HGST Deskstar NAS for $169... 4Tb WD Blacks for $199... I think it runs thru Oct 3.
I don't know if they've improved, but Newegg used to be notorious for just throwing naked drives (in antistatic bags) into boxes with some air pillows. The DOA and infant mortality (more like infanticide with Newegg's packaging) rates were atrocious. You can see this in many of their drive reviews.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!