What's new

No Internet Access from Router Itself in Router Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mikey Dread

Occasional Visitor
I have a RT—AC68U (converted T-Mobile CellSpot running perfectly for over a year) on Merlin firmware 380.58 in wireless router mode. But I just realized, while trying to install AB-Solution, that the router itself does not have internet access.

For example, all the Network Tools fail with something like “ping: bad address” and when I try to curl in terminal, I get “curl: (6) Couldn't resolve host.”

I am running DNSCrypt and DNS filtering, which I toggled on and off to see if this was issue, but it didn't fix issue.

What am I missing? Thanks in advance.

You have a DNS issue. Your router* cannot resolve names.

Try "nslookup www.google.com" and see if that gives you any clues.

Also check that /etc/resolv.conf has not been corrupted.

*By which I mean a Telnet/SSH session logged into the router, not clients on your LAN.

You have a DNS issue. Your router* cannot resolve names.

Try "nslookup www.google.com" and see if that gives you any clues.

Also check that /etc/resolv.conf has not been corrupted.

*By which I mean a Telnet/SSH session logged into the router, not clients on your LAN.

Thanks for help.

This is what nslookup returned:
Server: 127.0.0.1
Address 1: 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain
nslookup: can't resolve 'www.google.com'​

I think /etc/resolv.conf looks ok here, but how do I tell if it is corrupt or not?
tmp/etc# cat resolv.conf
nameserver 127.0.0.1​

Your resolv.conf is OK, so I'd guess that it's caused by the DNSCrypt installation.

I don't use DNSCrypt myself so I can't say whether this is normal behaviour or not.

Sorry I can't help you. Perhaps another DNSCrypt user can help.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!