What's new

No internet access in shell with rt-ac86u behind bt smart hub

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rivergo1d

New Around Here
I have a rt-ac68u connected lan2lan to a bt smart hub. Internet access is fine for devices connected to the asus. It is running the larges Merlin firmware and is wireless router mode.

However, when I ssh to the asus, commands such as wget or opkg update cannot reach the external internet address. They don't seem to know how to reach the bt hub gateway, even though normal wifi internet traffic works fine.

Does anyone know why this might be?

What mode is the router in? Access Point, Router, Media Bridge etc?

If it’s in Router mode it will assume it’s default gateway is on the WAN (which doesn’t exist).

If in another mode check the default gateway is set to the Bt hub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right, changing to access point mode got it working. But that loses me the ability to control dhcp addresses through the asus, which is important to me.

What i don't understand is why wireless clients can route out through the gateway, but the asus ssh shell cannot. I'd rather fix the shell to behave the same way if possible

What i don't understand is why wireless clients can route out through the gateway, but the asus ssh shell cannot. I'd rather fix the shell to behave the same way if possible
It's because there was no routing involved the way you had it set up. The Asus was just being used as a dumb switch for the LAN devices. When you're logged into the Asus in router mode, it sends all of its non-local traffic out the WAN port.

Thanks for the advice. I'd been hoping to stick to a method which meant I could use the same setup with lots of different ISPs, not just BT and the openreach modem, but I understand the point about not using my router's better routing (I'm equally interested in the linux side of the router which is why I attempted what appears to be such a "wasteful" setup).

The open reach modem works with ALL FTTC ISP’s as they all share the Openreach managed DSLAM’s in the cabinet...
I use an Openreach with Sky for example.

It is worth using this tool to see what DSLAM manufacturer is in your cabinet and getting the open reach modem that matches (ECI vs Huawei) as a matched modem to DSLAM manufacturer chipset will give you a few percent more Mbps.

If you get a Huawei one you can hack it to allow access to the web interface and see DSL stats.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/cabinet-lookup.htm

Thanks for all your help, I really do appreciate it. It's really nice to see an active forum with very helpful people!

Reactions: JDB

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!