What's new

No scanning possible trough router with Wifi Printer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stardust

Regular Contributor
Hey all.

I have a ASUS AC68U router with Merlin's 384.7 and HP Photosmart 6510 all-in-one.
I used to have no problems when scanning and printing with Linux Mint 18.3Cinnamon.
Now with 19 Cinnamon, I can print OK, but my PC's can't see the HP when I try to scan??

I got this message when I try to use "simple scanning":
HPLIP cannot detect devices in your network. This may be due to existing firewall settings blocking the required ports like (5353/udp). When you are in a trusted network environment, you may open the ports for network services like mdns and slp in the firewall. For detailed steps follow the link.

http://hplipopensource.com/node/375

I don't know this is the right forum to ask, but right know I simply have no clue after searching the Net..

What do I do now?

Regards

John

The issue may be that Mint 19 does not support SMB1 out of the box.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

With Ubuntu (and variants) and HP printers - use CUPS instead of Samba to access the printer... CUPS should pick it up automatically, and same with the various scan tools...

Tip on HP - set it to a fixed IP in the printer WebUI rather than DHCP - use an address outside of the router's DHCP scope/range..

The printer part works fine with CUPS and Wifi ..:)
The scanner part - not so much ...
Well I have found a page, that explaned the some bugs that has been since 2017 has not been fixet.

See this:

sharing a network HP aio scanner is not possible due to bugs 807427 and 838212. Network scanners from other vendors might work in sharing mode though.

Link:

https://wiki.debian.org/SaneOverNetwork#Network_Scanner_Configurations

Even with Windows - setting the printer to a fixed IP generally fixes the HP software that they provide for Windows desktop...

I had issues with both Win7 and Win10 with the HP - finally swapped it out for a Brother MFC inject all-in-one, and it'll be a long time before I look at HP again...

Brother all-in-one? Well that is something to check out - thanks for the tip.
My HP are not new anyways, so no tears ... ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!