What's new

Noob here...can you map a drive to your NAS from a remote machine?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

whitenack

Occasional Visitor
Hey all,

Is it possible to map a NAS drive on your PC even when it is off site?

I am brainstorming to see if it is possible to create my own "cloud" backup storage, with a NAS offsite somewhere and get my computers to automatically back up to it.

That would depend on what sort of network connection you have to the remote site. But if you're using a site to site VPN it should be pretty straight forward.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I am trying to figure out how to save data at an offsite location without having to use a sync software like dropbox/resilio sync which means I have to have storage space on the local machine too.

Like I said, it should be pretty straight forward, but you need to provide more detailed criteria to narrow down the options. "offsite somewhere" doesn't help much. Is that a remote office location of yours, a virtual server, a commercial backup service, etc. How much are you willing to pay per month? Operating systems? Volume of data? Bandwidth to "remote location"? Capacity? etc, etc.