What's new

Noob MoCA Setup Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jo15765

New Around Here
Does my MoCA have to be connected to the cable wire from the street? My current set-up is the box on the side of my home, has a 5 way splitter. The street cable is connected to the splitter and the outs from the splitter are dispersed to the multiple rooms of my house. Can I connect the moCa to any two coax cables and have the ethernet active or MUST moCa #1 be connected to the coax coming from the street?

Rather that rinse-lather-repeat - I would suggest a quick search...

Short answer - yes - explanations why - it's in the forums...

That is what I thought, but wanted clarification. I have the Actiontec ECB2500CK01 being delivered tomorrow and trying to think of the best plan as to how to connect my cable wire to the street to this device then run a cable from the MoCa back outside to the box in order to provide the rest of my house with cable over coax.

I saw this diagram but was not sure if cable in meant any coax or the line in from the street
Capture.png

That is what I thought, but wanted clarification. I have the Actiontec ECB2500CK01 being delivered tomorrow and trying to think of the best plan as to how to connect my cable wire to the street to this device then run a cable from the MoCa back outside to the box in order to provide the rest of my house with cable over coax.

I saw this diagram but was not sure if cable in meant any coax or the line in from the street
Capture.png

From the demarc - yes... this is actually the first and most common approach...

Folks get worried about the MOCA being in front of the modem, but this is ok...

With my coax "hub" being on the outside corner of my house what suggestions do you have (or recommends) as to get the wire from the street into my home & connected to my MoCa - then right back to my coax "hub" to wire up the remaining rooms?

Last edited:
Does my MoCA have to be connected to the cable wire from the street? My current set-up is the box on the side of my home, has a 5 way splitter. The street cable is connected to the splitter and the outs from the splitter are dispersed to the multiple rooms of my house. Can I connect the moCa to any two coax cables and have the ethernet active or MUST moCa #1 be connected to the coax coming from the street?

Your moca devices can be connected AFTER the splitter. But you need at least 2 moca devices Ethernet and coax connected to make a moca network.

@husky55 - I ordered the two pack, so I will have two moca devices. Just can not wrap my head around how the coax's need to be connected in order to set up the moca network.

For example, if I place moca1 after the splitter and run the coax from the "hub" to my moca in, and from the moca out add a second splitter and run one to my tv and one to my cable modem, then add an ethernet cable from my router to moca1 - WHICH other coax in my home (which has 6 rooms wired) would have the "moca signal" traveling through it so I can connect moca2?

The street cable is connected to the splitter (or hub as you called it). Use 1 coax from the hub connected to the Actiontec1. From the Actiontec1, Ethernet to the router and the coax output to whatever you want to use moca, i.e. Tivo box. From the hub, 1 coax go to the modem, from the modem to the router. Other coax from the hub can go to other rooms. Now, for another room, TV or Tivo or whatever, connect the coax from the hub to the Actiontec2, from the Actiontec2 to the TV or Tivo and Actiontec2 Ethernet to the router. Now you have a moca network between the 2 Actiontec devices.
Your network would be simpler if you have an Actiontec Wireless Extender like the WCB3000 for WCB2500. Or if you have devices with built in MOCA like Tivo Romio Plus or Tivo Mini. Hope this helps.

I am wanting to use moca to set-up a access point in a room that is a current dead spot and is not wired for ethernet.

@husky55 - if I understand you properly, I would wire it like so
1) Coax from hub to Actiontec1 IN
2) Ethernet from Actiontec1 to router
3) Coax from Actiontec1 OUT to TV
4) Coax from hub to Actiontec2 IN
5) Ethernet to AP
6) Coax from Actiontec2 OUT to TV

And my moca network would be set-up succesfully, is that accurate?

LOL!!! Try it, pretty sure you will be happy!!! Assuming your router and AP are setting up properly!!!

@husky55 - okay so I need to deviate from my above slightly. I am using the splitter that came with my Actiontec to do the below:
1) Coax from hub to Actiontec Splitter
2) Coax1 from splitter to Actiontec1 IN
3) Coax2 from splitter to Modem
4) Ethernet from Actiontec1 to router
5) Coax from Actiontec1 OUT to TV
6) Coax from hub to Actiontec2 IN
7) Ethernet to AP
8) Coax from Actiontec2 OUT to TV

For the splitter from Actiontec2 OUT will any splitter do? Or do I have to order an addtl from Actiontec? I have one that says Antronix 2-Way splitter CMC2002U 5-1002 MHZ will this one suffice?

@husky55 - okay so I need to deviate from my above slightly. I am using the splitter that came with my Actiontec to do the below:
7) Ethernet to AP
8) Coax from Actiontec2 OUT to TV

For the splitter from Actiontec2 OUT will any splitter do? Or do I have to order an addtl from Actiontec? I have one that says Antronix 2-Way splitter CMC2002U 5-1002 MHZ will this one suffice?

Antronix splitter is fine. That's what I use. Make sure that your TV, Tivo, devices are configured to use moca and ethernet. My Tivos specifically identified moca and ethernet as the network. I noticed that you did not mentioned a cable box before your tvs. You also need a moca POE filter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DC8IEE6/?tag=snbforums-20

Last edited:
Antronix splitter is fine. That's what I use. Make sure that your TV, Tivo, devices are configured to use moca and ethernet. My Tivos specifically identified moca and ethernet as the network. I noticed that you did not mentioned a cable box before your tvs. You also need a moca POE filter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DC8IEE6/?tag=snbforums-20

What does this POE filter do?

And yes, good catch --> I will be adding in the cable box here (step 8 instead of TV it goes from cable box to TV)
7) Ethernet to AP
8) Coax from Actiontec2 OUT to Cable Box

What does this POE filter do?

And yes, good catch --> I will be adding in the cable box here (step 8 instead of TV it goes from cable box to TV)
7) Ethernet to AP
8) Coax from Actiontec2 OUT to Cable Box

watch your splits on the coax side - keep it as flat as possible...

The MOCA filter should be on the demarc only... which is the run into the house...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!