What's new

Noob question about QoS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jong

So,

For a particular purpose I set a priority for one of the iPads on my network using the drag and drop coloured tabs in the Adaptive QoS - WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor screen. I now have absolutely no idea how to undo this! I can change a device to a different colour, but there is no obvious way to "reset to default" i.e. uncoloured and there seems to be no documentation on it either.

I don't really want to have to assign priorities to all devices, remembering to add new ones whenever I get them (adaptive QoS should avoid this). I have no idea what "unassigned" actually means - is it the same as medium? lowest? or lower than lowest?! I really have no idea!

Any one able to help?

So far ASUS didn't give us an option to take priority assignments. I have requested that too, because the only way to do so at the moment is by resetting the whole router config :(

Replied through Tapatalk

Last edited:
Still begs the question: What priority does an unassigned device have? Lowest? Less than lowest? Medium? Other?

Still begs the question: What priority does an unassigned device have? Lowest? Less than lowest? Medium? Other?
Good Question!

Replied through Tapatalk

I would imagine that an unassigned device would get absolute last priority. if no device is assigned a priority, then based on a default algorithm like traditional QoS. I have no facts to base this on however.

Yeah, I'm not so sure. If I assigned something "lowest" and all else was unassigned I'd expect that device to be bottom. As soon as you have "unassigned", rather than default assign to one of the categories, it makes it hard to guess.

Where were you 4 days ago! :). Seriously, thanks for confirming. It's always good to have the same answer from two sources! I actually think it's good the default is low, not lowest. Means you can mark a low priority device without having to assign manually priorities to everything else. But it would make a lot more sense if they marked them appropriately on the bandwidth monitor, rather than leaving us guess/work it out for ourselves!