What's new

Not getting an ipv6 address with Merlin on a RT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Interesting.....IPv6 is never even getting started (there are no debug log entries at all).

Can you tell me a bit more about your network? I see you have a rather extensive set of devices from many manufacturers....and they appear to be 'thrashing' to get an address. Is there any chance you have another device that is acting as a DHCP/DNS server?

Nope, no device is acting as a DHCP/DNS server. The network that I have consists of :
  1. a few computers
  2. phones
  3. gaming devices
  4. home automation devices like thermostats, light switches, etc.
In short, nothing extraordinary. Despite the thrashing, all devices are online. I did turn on MU-MIMO, but I doubt that's causing ipv6 to not even kick off.

Last edited:
viia telnet/ssh, what's the result of

nvram get link_internet

Just the number "2". Screenshot below:
c2cwo-2016-08-28-qkbxp.png

That's the expected value for link_internet.....

Last thing in pure guess mode.....try toggling the Comcast option at the bottom of the Tools>Other Settings page.

Just for the heck of it, I plugged in a Netgear R8300 from a friend to see if it would get an ipv6 address. It did.

We also tried a different Asus AC5300 to rule out that I have bad hardware, same result on the swapped AC5300... no ipv6.

Sorry to say I'm out of ideas on this one. To go further, would require some debug code be added to the firmware or setting up a trace to see what is really going on.

What version of the firmware were you using on the AC3200 that worked compared to the AC5300 that doesn't?

Last edited:
What version of the firmware were you using on the AC3200 that worked compared to the AC5300 that doesn't?

I don't have a way to verify this cause that router is no longer with me but if I were to guess, i'd say it was 378.56_0

Everyone, I very much appreciate all the brainstorming despite the lack of a solution. Thanks!

I don't know if this will help but I turned of static dns addresses on the Lan dchp page and have been getting ipv6 and keeping it since then.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The only thing I can suggest is that you put on the oldest firmware available, reset to factory defaults and see if that works.

@ColinTaylor get's another gold star :)

Try loading 380.57....if that works, there are about 5 or 6 commits between that and 380.61 that I would consider 'likely' candidates for having changed something.

I am also not getting an IPv6 address in the latest build, 380.61 on an AC87R on Comcast. I can plug my laptop directly into the cable modem and it will be assigned an IPv6 and I had IPv6 working correctly on older builds. Now my IPv6 is all set to DHCP-PD and it is pulling nothing. Finally, if I set a manual IPv6 DNS server into the GUI and do a "ping6 {site}" the ping6 will properly resolve the DNS but will not receive any ping responses.

I have tried all the switches and reboots recommended above.

Attaching a couple of screeners:
All automatic, no IPv6
upload_2016-9-7_21-33-16.png

Specifying a local IPv6 DNS:
upload_2016-9-7_21-34-46.png

No ping response from the command line:
upload_2016-9-7_21-33-47.png

I am not sure I can downflash, as per the change logs, but will try that tomorrow.
Any other ideas on this, or should I start my own thread? (new to this board, but have been using Merlin for years)

-BlueFrog

Well, I cannot down flash, due to new firmware regulations. However, I did try the OEM Asus firmware and I have the same result, no IPv6 address. I also tried the latest Merlin Alpha build, again no IPv6. Any ideas why this is broken?

Well, I cannot down flash, due to new firmware regulations. However, I did try the OEM Asus firmware and I have the same result, no IPv6 address. I also tried the latest Merlin Alpha build, again no IPv6. Any ideas why this is broken?
Use the Asus recovery tool to go back to older firmware. It does work!
@ColinTaylor Here's a screenshot of System Log -> IPv6.
View attachment 7153

@john9527 switched DHCP query freq to "normal" and rebooted. No change.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Those with IPv6 issues, make sure you don't set SSH to LAN+WAN. There's currently an issue being reported related to this (it's hard to investigate as I can't reproduce it with my 6in4 tunnel).

Thanks bbungie and john9527, I will try the asus restoration tool.

RMerlin, thanks again for everything, but just to report my ssh is currently off.
Also here is my IPv6 log screener, I appear to be pulling the IPv6 gateway, but not an IP.

upload_2016-9-8_16-50-51.png

Those with IPv6 issues, make sure you don't set SSH to LAN+WAN. There's currently an issue being reported related to this (it's hard to investigate as I can't reproduce it with my 6in4 tunnel).

I was able to get a IPv6 address when I changed my Auto Configuration Setting from Stateless to Stateful.
( I am using a Native connection)
I hope this helps ....