What's new

Nothing easy without cost: network powerline adapters

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jdutko

New Around Here
i am seeking advice, thanks.

I am using some powerline adapters to get "better" speed to my basement and kitchen. They do provide faster than wifi speed, at a cost, a ton of electrical noise, I'm not sure which, EMI or RFI. It is most noticeable when using headphones.

Here is the setup:

NAS->FiOS Router->ZyXEL Powerline PLA5205 Adapter->Computer (Gigabyte Gaming 5 motherboard with DACUP USB)->Audioquest Dragonfly->Audioquest Golden Gate Cable, 3 meter->NAD HP50 headphones

I can hear the noise, pops, crackles and clicking, in the headphones when no music is playing or during a quiet section of a track. When I unplug the network cable the noise completely goes away. Playing from a local drive is the same, noise when the network cable is plugged into the jack, quiet when unplugged. Furthermore, if I transfer a file to my NAS from the local drive or to my local drive from the NAS the line noise "intensifies." It is a bit louder and more of a consistent buzz. The motherboard has the so-called DACUP USB ports which supposedly supply "cleaner" power to the USB ports over conventional USB ports.

What have I tried? Not much, but here is some data.

NOISE:

1. I tried a ferrite clamp on the network cable - no effect.

2. I tried different outlets for the powerline adapter (probably same circuit) - no effect.

3. I tried USB3 ports (non DACUP ports) - no effect.

4. 1/8" female/male 6 foot extension cable - no effect.

5. I plugged the powerline adapter into my surge protector. (It worked but at 1/2 the speed when plugged in the wall outlet.) - no effect

NO NOISE (but not a workable setup):

6. I temporarily moved my FiOS router to the basement to bypass the powerline adapter. (The NAS was disconnected so I could not test file transfer noise.) The line is silent, all conditions.

7. Stock headphone cable (too short to use without extension) and "lower quality" 1/8" inch cable. The line is silent, all conditions.

8. Cheap external powered computer speakers - no EMI/RFI. The line is silent, all conditions.

What can I do to eliminate the noise but not filter out the throughput of the powerline adapter?

A power conditioner? (Hopefully inexpensive, i.e., <$100)

A network switch between the powerline and my computer? (Hopefully inexpensive too)

String RJ45 along the floor about 60 feet? Yuk. I cannot string cable though walls, so if I have to use a direct line, it will be very long and tacked down along the floorboard, doorways, and stairs - not cool.

Thanks for your help!!

Sounds like you need a power conditioner for the device you plug your headphones into.

I use a set of Netgear Nano XAVB5101 GIG powerline adapters with my multimedia system and I hear no noise through my Rotel system. Someday I may put a CATE cable in but for now it works real well.

Last edited:
surge protectors have attenuators that degrade powerline IP adapters.
So too, filters/attenuators inside many modern TVs and other home theater stuff.
As well, lighting dimmers - some are quite RF noisy.

Some sort of tests should be done to determine if the noise is getting into the headphone, or more likely, one or more of the audio devices ahead of the phones.
Try other headphones. Coil up the headphone cable to make it less of an antenna and see what happens.
My guess is it's not the headphones.

UPDATE:

I may have a ground loop issue! I used a cheater plug on the 3-prong powerline adapter and it eliminated all the noise, even during file transfers when the noise was the worst.

So, now what? Do I need an electrician? Is it unsafe to leave the cheater plug attached?

At least I found the source of the noise. Now how can I fix it?

Do NOT use a cheater plug.

Get a circuit tester from the hardware store. They are the $10-15 plug in kind that'll show you if an outlet is misswired or not among other things.

If all relevant plugs are wired correctly, then yeah, I'd consider calling an electrician. A ground loop can cause a lot of problems and you deffinitely do NOT want to be leaving things ungrounded that are supposed to be grounded. Get the tiniest ground short and you'll fry yourself or your equipment if it is left ungrounded.

Do NOT use a cheater plug.

Get a circuit tester from the hardware store. They are the $10-15 plug in kind that'll show you if an outlet is misswired or not among other things.

If all relevant plugs are wired correctly, then yeah, I'd consider calling an electrician. A ground loop can cause a lot of problems and you deffinitely do NOT want to be leaving things ungrounded that are supposed to be grounded. Get the tiniest ground short and you'll fry yourself or your equipment if it is left ungrounded.

Thanks for the advice. The consensus about cheater plugs seems to be like you say, do NOT leave them plugged in.

I don't have a circuit tester but I think I will stop by the hardware store today and pick one up - seems useful.

I will have an electrician give me an estimate for stringing a network cable but I will also tell him/her about the grounding issue.

It also may not be a ground loop. If they are going to come out anyway, probably something relatively quick/cheap for them to at least check.

Now tracking it down and fixing it might be more involved. But checking to see if one actually exists likely would be quick for them.

I've found with my house a mess of wiring with little to code that I've been fixing over the years. Things like grounds not properly terminated and that sort of thing. I've sorted most of it at this point (mostly in the garage and family room which were additions to the house. The original house is fine, if dated (1961)).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!