What's new

Odd SSID with RT-AX86U in AP mode?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HH22

Occasional Visitor
I've been upgrading my Asus mesh system, recently upgrading the primary router to an RT-AX88U Pro. I reset an RT-AX82U and was finally able to get it set up as an AP node (hardwired backhaul). This morning, I did the same with an RT-AX86U as I wanted to give the RT-AX88U Pro a week or so to function without issue before relegating the RT-AX86U into mesh node operation.

Prior to completing the addition of the RT-AX86U into the mesh network, I ran NetSpot in order to gain a feel for WiFi signal level of the various routers- before and after the addition. Before the addition, I was able to "see" the two routers- different signal strength results as expected- and sharing the same SSID throughout (I have not separated my 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands).

After adding the RT-AX86U I again looked at the NetSpot output and, although I was/am able to see that it is being detected (much better signal strength as it is physically located very close to the testing computer), the SSID is reported as "ASUS_70" (as opposed to my home network SSID).

The main router software GUI shows the RT-AX86U as being connected and an active part of the mesh network and multiple clients have connected to it- both to the 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands.

I'm curious why this mesh AP node doesn't share the main SSID (as does the other mesh AP node)? I don't think there is any issue- security or otherwise- as WiFi devices such as my iPhone and iPad don't "see" the "ASUS_70" SSID within the "Other Networks" section of the WiFi settings area.

I almost wonder if, when I reset the RT-AX86U (I manually reset using the reset button and saw the power button begin blinking), if it didn't actually fully reset? Within NetSpot I also see a Guest Network SSID that had been associated with that router and is different than the name I selected for the guest network with the RT-AX88U Pro. That suggests there is information that wasn't erased when I reset (or at least thought I reset) the RT-AX86U.

Any thoughts concerning what I'm seeing? Is there a logical explanation as to why the SSID being broadcast by the RT-AX86U AP node is different than the one associated with my WiFi network (but presumably being used successfully by multiple clients)? Although NetSpot "sees" and reports that "ASUS_70" SSID, devices that actually attach to a network don't "see" that SSID but, are linked to that AP node as reported by the Asus router software GUI.

Help me with an answer(s) and whether I need to change anything given what I am seeing! Thanks.

Do a hard factory reset on the AX86U: https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1039078/

Thanks. I had, in fact, not fully reset the AX86U.

Deleted it from the mesh network, went through the process of re-adding, and it is now showing the SSID consistent with the main router and other mesh node. I don't know if the way it was broadcasting its SSID impacted anything from a connectivity perspective as it was being reporting that wireless devices were connected to it, but it's now consistent with the entire setup.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!