What's new

Official ASUS RT-N66U B1 Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.260

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just flash to 260 and the driver for the radio is the same as your 19B version, that is, if I interpret it correctly in the log.

Dec 31 19:00:07 kernel: eth0: Broadcom BCM47XX 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet Controller 5.100.138.20
Dec 31 19:00:07 kernel: wl_module_init: passivemode set to 0x0
Dec 31 19:00:07 kernel: PCI: Enabling device 0000:01:01.0 (0000 -> 0002)
Dec 31 19:00:07 kernel: eth1: Broadcom BCM4331 802.11 Wireless Controller 5.100.138.20
Dec 31 19:00:07 kernel: PCI: Enabling device 0000:02:01.0 (0000 -> 0002)
Dec 31 19:00:07 kernel: eth2: Broadcom BCM4331 802.11 Wireless Controller 5.100.138.20
Dec 31 19:00:07 kernel: Algorithmics/MIPS FPU Emulator v1.5

So it looks like it has the same drivers as 220?

The driver version number hasn't changed in months. Looks like Asus might be doing some changes to the code without bumping the revision. I rely on an MD5 checksum to compare drivers (when the filesize isn't different, which was the case between 220 and 246).

Just looked at my notes , 220 worked well 246 had lota of dropped connections , went back to 220 . This is strange as you're saying 260 uses the same drivers as 246 , be interested in the changes made to make 260 stable .
Thanks for all the work Merlin

Just looked at my notes , 220 worked well 246 had lota of dropped connections , went back to 220 . This is strange as you're saying 260 uses the same drivers as 246 , be interested in the changes made to make 260 stable .
Thanks for all the work Merlin
I don't think that Merlin himself won't know what changes were made in 260 vs 246 until Asus releases the source code for 260. IIRC, Merlin said it usually takes a few days after the new firmware version's release for that to occur.

If you mean the fact that LAN to LAN connections are all NATted, yes, my firmware uses a completely different NAT loopback that resolves this issue. Otherwise, your double NAT issue probably comes from your modem also applying NAT on top of your router's NAT.
netstatus.jpg

As you can see in the image I have two WAN IP's, a local and an external. This is because my Asus router is connected to another router. Is this a double NAT situation?

- lfbb

Quite possible. I suspect you are using a modem-router, which has a built-in DHCP server. If that's the case (for example if you have an ST516 modem), log into its web interface, and make sure its DHCP interface is disabled, as well as any PPPoE login. In fact if possible, turn it into Bridged mode, so it will be fully transparent to your router.

Also if your Asus also uses the 192.168.1.xxx range for the LAN, then you have two conflicting networks that are overlapped. One has to go, or at least to be remapped to a different IP range (like 192.168.10.xxx).

Yikes, unstability is still in 260. Wireless clients disconnects and having a hard time connecting. Disabling GRO seems to settle it a bit. I'll give it time and see if it stays stable this way.

Update: 2.4 band wireless in 260 is just as unstable as 246, it seems nothing was fix in this firmware version. No wonder there is no mention of fixing wireless instability in the changelog. :( I give up back to RMerlin's stable 19b.

Last edited:
Yikes, unstability is still in 260. Wireless clients disconnects and having a hard time connecting. Disabling GRO seems to settle it a bit. I'll give it time and see if it stays stable this way.

Update: 2.4 band wireless in 260 is just as unstable as 246, it seems nothing was fix in this firmware version. No wonder there is no mention of fixing wireless instability in the changelog. :( I give up back to RMerlin's stable 19b.

I have six wireless clients, all running 2.4ghz. 3 ipads on video call at same time for 3 hours, 2 desktop (both on watching hd video streams for 4 hours) and 1 laptop. No disconnection.

I have six wireless clients, all running 2.4ghz. 3 ipads on video call at same time for 3 hours, 2 desktop (both on watching hd video streams for 4 hours) and 1 laptop. No disconnection.

But did you have stability issues with build 246? Not everyone was affected by it, for some reason.

But did you have stability issues with build 246? Not everyone was affected by it, for some reason.

it affect some kind of wireless cards, not all avalaible on the market...
for me i have issues in intel 6200 but on bigfoot killer (atheros) doesnt seems to be there... first of all - the best wifi driver is from 220 build. also working well on merlin 246.19b and please use this one in future release - at least when asus fix this and admits that something goes south... :)

I'd be really interested in hearing from people who had major wireless stability issues with 246 to know if build 260 resolved them? So I'll know which wireless driver I'll use for my own build.
For what it's worth Merlin I had issues with the 5GHz band with build 246. Namely, I could not connect to the 5GHz band. As soon as I flashed your build 246.19b all was well. I am running build 260 with GRO disabled and all seems well. I can connect to the 5GHz band like nobody's business. Also, I haven't seen any issues with Parental Control yet. If PC should puke again I will notify Asus but so far so good.

There seems to be a lot of different results so far regarding 260 and wireless stability. I just started a poll, please answer it if you have an RT-N66U, and have updated to firmware 260.

mine is broken also,
I'll try resetting it like you did and see what happens

I've found that IPv6 doesn't always come up after upgrading firmware and doing a reboot. Sometimes it takes an extra reboot or two to fully come up. I've also gone back to reset and then rebooted a couple of times. But it does come up after a single reboot when upgrading firmware sometimes.

I've found that IPv6 doesn't always come up after upgrading firmware and doing a reboot. Sometimes it takes an extra reboot or two to fully come up. I've also gone back to reset and then rebooted a couple of times. But it does come up after a single reboot when upgrading firmware sometimes.

I've waited 3 hrs and no ipv6
ao maybe I'll try that,did you get it to work on the 260 firmware?

Wifi down after reboot

All,

I have my 5Ghz Wifi switched off because I'm not using it.
When upgrading the firmware (in the past)(32k or 64k), when rebooting the router, the 2.4Ghz Wifi comes up briefly and then shuts down.
The only way to fix this, is logging into the router via a wired connection, go to the page "Administration" -> "System" and just click the "Apply"-button at the end of the page. This behaviour occured during former firmware-upgrades and also the 3.0.0.4.260 one.

When clearing the NVRAM, resetting the router etc and entering all my settings, all seems to be working fine after a reboot. But a soon as I shutdown the 5Ghz Wifi and then performing a reboot, the above is occurring.

Is anybody else experiencing the behavior described above with the 5Ghz administratively shutdown?
2.4Ghz Wifi is running fine (even scheduled shutdown during the night) as long no reboot occurs.
Running now FW 3.0.0.4.260
PS: The Daylight saving is not functioning when set on Automatic.
This needs to be set on Manual.

I've waited 3 hrs and no ipv6
ao maybe I'll try that,did you get it to work on the 260 firmware?

Haven't tried it the 260 firmware yet. Waiting until some stuff gets ironed out with 260, like the wireless stability issue. Currently using 252 (Beta level), and IPv6 is working fine on that one.

There's a bug with Asus's firmware and the N66U. If you disable one (or both wifi interfaces), the router will boot, see if the radios are enabled, consider that one radio must be stuck/crashed since it's not enabled, and reboot the router. It will do this routine up to three times, before "giving up", and simply booting normally.

So on reboot, just give your router some time to go through these three reboots, then it should be fine. Otherwise, you might be suffering from an additional problem.

Tried 260 and merlin 19b , dropped both because some strange wifi action back on 252 beta , see how it acts

I really like the extra features of the Merlin build though , wish Asus would keep them in factory FW

Last edited: