What's new

Official ASUS RT-N66U B1 Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.260

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tried 260 and merlin 19b , dropped both because some strange wifi action back on 252 beta , see how it acts

I really like the extra features of the Merlin build though , wish Asus would keep them in factory FW

I think that 19b was where the firmware wireless driver was reverted back to the 220 firmware version. So 19b could be okay for you.

If you mean the fact that LAN to LAN connections are all NATted, yes, my firmware uses a completely different NAT loopback that resolves this issue. Otherwise, your double NAT issue probably comes from your modem also applying NAT on top of your router's NAT.

Yes, that is what I meant. Ah, good then, I think I will fully go to your implementation now for the 66U. I think Shibby's has issues, mainly with performance that they do not look to resolve or are completely unknowing of. Beside, I cant be double NAT'ed anyways. I am on fiber, and a bit too suave for that. Not as suave as you though with code :p.

And again, thank you for the reply and your work here.

Last edited:
ASUS RT-N66U 3.0.0.4.246.20_ Merlin

Dears, I like Merlin, thank you very much for your sacrifising help.
And I have tried his last build immediately. However my son sitting on the sofa in 2 metres from the router with Dell XPS studio on the knees started to scream after 5 mins that wifi dropped down and did not appear... Only Skype worked, but not his lovely sites, no utorrent connection...Therefore had to reflash back to solid factory 220 build. Will have to work with some settings today, but still keeped connection during the night.
Could you apply older wireless driver, Merlin, on new build or try something new from the box, please?

I would appreciate very much if you could point to some good configuration hints for wireless, maybe problem is here?

Dears, I like Merlin, thank you very much for your sacrifising help.
And I have tried his last build immediately. However my son sitting on the sofa in 2 metres from the router with Dell XPS studio on the knees started to scream after 5 mins that wifi dropped down and did not appear... Only Skype worked, but not his lovely sites, no utorrent connection...Therefore had to reflash back to solid factory 220 build. Will have to work with some settings today, but still keeped connection during the night.
Could you apply older wireless driver, Merlin, on new build or try something new from the box, please?

I would appreciate very much if you could point to some good configuration hints for wireless, maybe problem is here?

Build 246.220 does use the same wireless driver as Asus's build 220. If Skype was working fine then the issue must have been something else, otherwise he would have no Internet connectivity at all.

Silly question, but when I upgrade to version .260, will Download Master upgrade automatically too? I don't need to delete the existing DM files from my hard drive and reinstall it, do I?

Silly question, but when I upgrade to version .260, will Download Master upgrade automatically too? I don't need to delete the existing DM files from my hard drive and reinstall it, do I?

You will have to go to the USB tab, and click on the update link under Download Master.

download master port number changed?

After upgrading to version 3.0.0.4.260 I can't connect to the download master. I've uninstalled and installed the download master software but without results. The "default" port was 8081, but this isn't accepted anymore. The USB device is attached and accesible through samba and ftp.

Is there an issue with this firmware, or maybe I'm missing the setting for this port somehow.

Can anyone help.

I upgraded had issues upgraded download master, I just re-formatted the drive and reinstalled--then upgraded. Works fine now.

I am having another issue though. I can't view my external harddrive on my laptop(via wifi) on windows samba. I can connect to it via internet window(I use Chrome) via ftp ip though.

I can see it just find via windows explorer on my desktop(wired).

I have 2 harddrive, give me some options to try guys, I'm open to reformatting or whatever else. I have already tried by disabling antivirus firewall, windows firewall, and router firewall. Did not help. Although all of these firewalls are enabled and desktop still works.

Make sure everyone is in the same workgroup. The router's workgroup is configured here:

http://www.asusnetwork.net/Advanced_AiDisk_others.asp

Also check your share configuration under Network Place.

Excellent suggestion, I should have mentioned I checked that. I currently have all under "MSHOME" ...an old habit I picked up...using that workgroup.

My configurations under network place show the harddrive. I have 2 users, admin by default has access to all r/w. I also added a second user, the same username/password I use for my laptop. The second user also has r/w access on all folders.

Both desktop/laptop are on Windows 7 64 bit.

If I look at "network" folder on Win 7, it only displays the router name under "media devices". My desktop shows both the router under media devices AND computers. Double click the device under computer allows me to browse the harddrive via windows explorer. So i can see it the router partially.

Even if I plug in a ethernet cord, still I can't see the harddrive. I think a service is disabled that I need enabled on my laptop. Oddly enough though, I can see shared folders between computers.

Excellent suggestion, I should have mentioned I checked that. I currently have all under "MSHOME" ...an old habit I picked up...using that workgroup.

My configurations under network place show the harddrive. I have 2 users, admin by default has access to all r/w. I also added a second user, the same username/password I use for my laptop. The second user also has r/w access on all folders.

Both desktop/laptop are on Windows 7 64 bit.

If I look at "network" folder on Win 7, it only displays the router name under "media devices". My desktop shows both the router under media devices AND computers. Double click the device under computer allows me to browse the harddrive via windows explorer. So i can see it the router partially.

Even if I plug in a ethernet cord, still I can't see the harddrive. I think a service is disabled that I need enabled on my laptop. Oddly enough though, I can see shared folders between computers.

Try accessing your router directly. Assuming its IP is the default one:

\\192.168.1.1

If it works correctly that way, then you must be having a master browser issue on your network.

Try accessing your router directly. Assuming its IP is the default one:

\\192.168.1.1

If it works correctly that way, then you must be having a master browser issue on your network.

Worked! Thanks Merlin! Oddly enough, I still can't view this device under my network folder to explorer it. Although it is now viewable on the left hand navigation with the IP address listed under network allowing me to select it and view folders, if i close that window the ip address will disappear. To view it again I need to type \\192.168.1.1 in a windows explorer window.

To view the shared USB drive, just type \\rt-n66u in the Windows Explorer address bar. You can map a drive to it for greater convenience.

Worked! Thanks Merlin! Oddly enough, I still can't view this device under my network folder to explorer it. Although it is now viewable on the left hand navigation with the IP address listed under network allowing me to select it and view folders, if i close that window the ip address will disappear. To view it again I need to type \\192.168.1.1 in a windows explorer window.

That means you have a Master Browser issue on your network. Without going into the full details, the list of network computers that appear in Explorer is a list that is being kept by a device on your network. Whichever device (computer, router, server, etc...) gets to keep that list is determined through a weighted election (where a server would always outweight a regular computer, for example).

If whichever computer that won the election has an incorrectly configured firewall or has the Computer Browser service stopped (some people following bogus "optimization" guides can sometime end up disabling this service without knowing they just crippled their network), then the list will come up as empty. You can make sure that a computer running Windows has the Computer Browser service running by using the following command in a command prompt:

net start

Make sure that "Computer Browser" appears in the list.

Complete security suites such as Norton Internet Security are also a common cause of network browsing issues.

In the next release of Asuswrt-Merlin I added an option that forces the router to become a network's Master Browser, which should reduce the chance of having to deal with such issues.

Last edited:
In the next release of Asuswrt-Merlin I added an option that forces the router to become a network's Master Browser, which should reduce the chance of having to deal with such issues.

Hi RMerlin,

my RT-N66U currently works in AP mode using your latest FW. My NAS acts as a Master Browser; however I switch that NAS on from time to time only, far, far away from 24/7 usage.

So will the AP be able to work as a Master Browser and what would happen if I switched on afterwards my NAS with it's Master Browser option additionally enabled?

Hi RMerlin,

my RT-N66U currently works in AP mode using your latest FW. My NAS acts as a Master Browser; however I switch that NAS on from time to time only, far, far away from 24/7 usage.

So will the AP be able to work as a Master Browser and what would happen if I switched on afterwards my NAS with it's Master Browser option additionally enabled?

It probably won't work in AP mode. To act as a Master Browser, you have to be running Samba. I don't think the Samba service works while in AP mode (to confirm, telnet in your router, and run "ps w" and see if "smbd" and "nmbd" appear in the list of running processes).

As for what happens when the NAS gets turned on will depend on how the NAS is configured. Asuswrt-Merlin will use the highest priority possible, so unless the NAS has the same priority, the router should still win any election.

That means you have a Master Browser issue on your network. Without going into the full details, the list of network computers that appear in Explorer is a list that is being kept by a device on your network. Whichever device (computer, router, server, etc...) gets to keep that list is determined through a weighted election (where a server would always outweight a regular computer, for example).

If whichever computer that won the election has an incorrectly configured firewall or has the Computer Browser service stopped (some people following bogus "optimization" guides can sometime end up disabling this service without knowing they just crippled their network), then the list will come up as empty. You can make sure that a computer running Windows has the Computer Browser service running by using the following command in a command prompt:

Make sure that "Computer Browser" appears in the list.

Complete security suites such as Norton Internet Security are also a common cause of network browsing issues.

Its in the list. I run the Avast! Internet Security. Funny thing about my problem though is my desktop and laptop both have exact same programs. When do you planning on releasing your FW version enabling it to become the networks Master Browser?

Its in the list. I run the Avast! Internet Security. Funny thing about my problem though is my desktop and laptop both have exact same programs. When do you planning on releasing your FW version enabling it to become the networks Master Browser?

There currently is no ETA, as it will most likely not be before the next Asus release.

Just wanted to say I tried the ...4.260 FW and noticed my iphone would not find the WiFi at times and also my blu-ray. Reboot of the router usually fixed this.

There's a bug with Asus's firmware and the N66U. If you disable one (or both wifi interfaces), the router will boot, see if the radios are enabled, consider that one radio must be stuck/crashed since it's not enabled, and reboot the router. It will do this routine up to three times, before "giving up", and simply booting normally.

So on reboot, just give your router some time to go through these three reboots, then it should be fine. Otherwise, you might be suffering from an additional problem.

I had to reboot my modem last day and to be sure I rebooted the router as well. I've watched the router and it was in fact rebooting 3 times but the 2.4Ghz radio LED remainded on during the reboots and the 5Ghz LED stayed off as it was configured as administratively shutdown. After the 3 reboots, within a minute, also the 2.4Ghz radio shut down and that's it. Waited for more then an hour but still remained to be shut down. Also I noticed that the date/time was not set to the correct date/time, it was set as if it was initialized for the first time. The only way to solve this was to go to "Administration" -> "System"-page and just click the "Apply"-button. Within +/- 10 seconds, the 2.4Ghz radio turned back on again and the date/time was also set correctly. So, I guess I have an additional problem.... But am I the only one having this issue?
PS: Apologies for the late response on your answer....