Old computer as a Network Server

Discussion in 'General NAS Discussion' started by ap-alexander, Nov 30, 2012.

1. ap-alexander

ap-alexander New Around Here

Hi there, I have recently upgraded my main desktop and want to built my old computer into a network server. I have most of what I need, but I need help in completing it.

Here's the information about my what I currently have:
    Old computer:
    An AMD Phenom II with 8GB of RAM, 40GB Intel SSD. It's built in an Antec 300 case with a 560W PSU and an Nvidia 9600GSO GPU. At the moment it's running Linux. (Ubuntu 12.10)

Uses: (what I want the system to do)
    Pretty standard, really. I will use the server as main storage for media and documents, and will be streaming via ethernet to my TV via PS3. I would also love to be able to stream wirelessly to iOS devices and Apple TV. (I'm using the Apple TV to stream audio upstairs)

Network hardware:
    This is a work in progress. I have a typical modem/router (Linksys dual band) setup. However, I have a 24 port patch panel (not installed) and have my eye on a 16-port unmanged gigabit switch to finish the build. I have network drops in the office, theater room, and one upstairs.

What I want to know is, instead of getting the 16-port switch, can I easily (and relatively in-expensively) turn my old computer into a network switch? What do I need to buy? I will be getting a couple Western Digital Red 3TB drives, but as far as ethernet connectivity do I just get several network cards and install them? What software to I need to get it all up and running?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

2. Log in / Register to remove this ad

3. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

Buy the switch. You don't want your computer acting as a switch or even a router if you plan on using it as a NAS,

4. jdabbs

jdabbs Super Moderator

The switch would cost less.