What's new

Old vs new - snappiness?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Four drive and up NASes are tough to make silent due to drive noise if nothing else. I test with WD Re's and Reds and the Reds are much quieter.

This is a case where plastic is your friend. Plastic drive trays/guides help isolate drives. I've also found QNAP's metal covers tend to vibrate at times.

I've currently got a 211j which has adequate streaming throughput for most use, but is very slow at waking up and also slow with directory listings in folders containing hundreds (or thousands) of items. As this is starting to be old, I'm wondering what i should get to replace it. In terms of storage space I belive 2 disks is still fine for me.

If considering between for example a 713 and 214, what could I expect in terms of responsiveness and handling large listings / small files? Big difference between arm and x86? Would both have a big difference to what I'm running now?
Back to the original post. I also currently have a DS211J. I don't do much in the way of video streaming. It is annoying how laggy the interface is and how long it takes for the file explorer to load up directories. I am running 3TB WD Red drives in the Synology hybrid array mode for redundancy. I have no desire to move away from Synology as I like the interface and all of their apps for my android. If I wanted to update now is the 215J any snappier than the old 211J? Should I so with a 215J, 214, or 215+ ? Not really looking to expand to 4 or more drives. Just want to upgrade before the old box dies and something with a snappier interface.

The "j" suffix products tend to have a lower/cheaper processor.

My DS212 is OK by me for response time, except it is sluggish when doing big backups late night.

I just ran some directory listings (no backups running, no thumbnail generation going)... the response time was instantaneous to 1 or 2 seconds, for the WD Red 3TB in mine. The slowest was about 2 seconds, producing page 1 of a folder in which there are 1,034 folders. That each of 1,034 contains dozens of files probably doesn't affect the response time.
That folder's contents is 68GB, no big files, 35,300 folders, 185,000 files in those folders.

The DS212 (now 3+ years old, but running latest operating system DSM 5.2), is truly no speed demon. But it transfers quite well for my uses. (I run two volumes, no RAID).

If you're counting pennies, maybe a DS214 (last year's model) can be had inexpensively as compared to a this-year model. I probably again will elect a 2 bay (I'm not a fan of RAID).

I'll wait for some wonderful new thing in modest cost NASes. Or 5 years, whichever comes first.

Why not put the NAS in the garage or far away room?

I live in an apartment on the 4'th floor so the garages are open spaces and quite far away :)

Also while I actually do have network sockets in most rooms it's only bedrooms and the living room. The switching cabinet is too small to host a very big NAS and has no active cooling.

I did end up getting the 453s and it's so silent that I have it in open air under my tv cabinet. I ended up going with that one since 2.5" drives are more silent and have not regretted. It easily saturates the gigabit network even with smallish files so I don't feel the performance penalty from the slower drives.

And to the original message, this is at least very snappy compared to the old NAS both in terms of waking up from sleep and the web UI. :)

My 411j is pitifully slow, can't wait to replace it some day. I will give it props for being super silent though, can't even hear it...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!