What's new

On firmware 378.50 ...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

randomName

Very Senior Member
Hey all. I'm on firmware 378.50 I was just doing some leisure reading about the modem on the net and seen Asus offers an Adaptive Qos mode. Will the Merlin firmware be getting this? If not, what do I need to do to revert back to the Asus firmware to try this feature out?

Thanks! :)

EDIT: RT N66U

Last edited:
Upgrade to 378.52 or 378.53 if u want Adaptive QOS, reset to "Factory Default" is needed after flashing and reconfig from the beginning .
We dont know your router model, so cant help with the Official Asus FW

Upgrade to 378.52 or 378.53 if u want Adaptive QOS, reset to "Factory Default" is needed after flashing and reconfig from the beginning .
We dont know your router model, so cant help with the Official Asus FW

I have the RT N66U.

So the Merlin version has Adaptive Qos?

Hey all. I'm on firmware 378.50 I was just doing some leisure reading about the modem on the net and seen Asus offers an Adaptive Qos mode. Will the Merlin firmware be getting this? If not, what do I need to do to revert back to the Asus firmware to try this feature out?

Thanks! :)

EDIT: RT N66U

You can flash back and forth between Merlin and ASUS stock without issue - the procedure is the same. Just make sure to factory reset when going from one to the other

I think Adaptive QoS is only supported on the routers with more powerful CPUs. N66U doesn't qualify, i think

(pls correct me if I'm wrong)

So it's not a firmware update it's because the N66U isn't capable of Adaptive Qos? I thought the Asus firmware had it. So the Merlin firmware has it but not for my N66U model?

So it's not a firmware update it's because the N66U isn't capable of Adaptive Qos? I thought the Asus firmware had it. So the Merlin firmware has it but not for my N66U model?

N66U and AC66U and lower models don't have it. Now if you had AC56U or something else with a dual-core ARM CPU, then yes.

N66U and AC66U and lower models don't have it. Now if you had AC56U or something else with a dual-core ARM CPU, then yes.

Whats' the latest and greatest Asus router edit: that would support Adaptive Qos?

Last edited:
Whats' the latest and greatest Asus router?

The AC3200 and AC87U

You don't have to get the latest and greatest. When it comes to routers, you should stay away from anything "just released". The firmware usually needs time to settle and you may end up with an unstable router or other issues. Right now, the AC1900 routers are the sweet spot. They've been out long enough for the FW to mature and most issues have been worked out. All these new stuff like TurboQAM, NitroQAM, MU-MIMO, etc has not takers yet. Read: there are no or very very few clients that can make use of this technology

The AC3200 and AC87U

You don't have to get the latest and greatest. When it comes to routers, you should stay away from anything "just released". The firmware usually needs time to settle and you may end up with an unstable router or other issues. Right now, the AC1900 routers are the sweet spot. They've been out long enough for the FW to mature and most issues have been worked out. All these new stuff like TurboQAM, NitroQAM, MU-MIMO, etc has not takers yet. Read: there are no or very very few clients that can make use of this technology

What kind of hardware technology do those routers have?

What kind of hardware technology do those routers have?

You mean the HW itself? Like which chipsets? If so, they're a combination of Broadcom and Quantenna chips

You mean the HW itself? Like which chipsets? If so, they're a combination of Broadcom and Quantenna chips

Ok, cause the last time I was buying the latest and greatest it was this RT N66U and now I can't use Adaptive Qos. I don't follow Router hardware so that's what I am curious about incase I end up upgrading anytime.

You can flash back and forth between Merlin and ASUS stock without issue - the procedure is the same. Just make sure to factory reset when going from one to the other

I think Adaptive QoS is only supported on the routers with more powerful CPUs. N66U doesn't qualify, i think

(pls correct me if I'm wrong)

I didn't realize you had to perform a factory reset between Asus v. Merlin flashes. If you, you can then upload your saved settings, right?

I didn't realize you had to perform a factory reset between Asus v. Merlin flashes. If you, you can then upload your saved settings, right?

Sometimes it's not necessary, but most of the time it is. As for the settings, I've never tried it so I can't comment much. Maybe Merlin will chime in

Ok, so I might be in luck with a reason to upgrade my Router. If all goes through I will be giving this RT N66U away to a family member. I don't want to be stuck getting a low end router like this one for my next one. I'm not worried about firmware issues with new routers I just want one with the latest and best hardware possible. Can someone recommend me the latest and greatests?

thanks

Last edited:
I don't want to be stuck getting a low end router like this one for my next one. I

The RT-N66U isn't a "low end router". It's just several years old.

It's still one of, if not THE best 802.11n router available. You're talking like it's some $40 Belkin. The N66U is still better than probably 80% of the ISP supplied routers that people are using worldwide. Heck, most ISP routers still haven't got 5GHz - the ISP supplied router I got this year (and quickly binned) had single stream 2.4GHz, so 150Mb at most. Terrible stuff.

Ok, so I might be in luck with a reason to upgrade my Router. If all goes through I will be giving this RT N66U away to a family member. I don't want to be stuck getting a low end router like this one for my next one. I'm not worried about firmware issues with new routers I just want one with the latest and best hardware possible. Can someone recommend me the latest and greatests?

thanks
From Asus AC3200 (6x Antennas) is the lastest but is it the greatests? That will depend on your network needs. That has an extra 5ghz anntenna to offload traffic. If have alot of device then maybe consider it.

Asus AC87u ( 4x antennas)is suppose to be a MU-MIMO antenna designed router. Currently that function is disable. I guess you can call MU-MIMO the lastest and maybe the greatest. MU-MIMO is suppose to be at better handling multiple users at the same time and elminate lag by broadcasting simultaneously to all users. You'll need client devices that supports it. ATM no client device supports it.

Asus 3200 is for the now and Asus 87u is for the future.
There gonna a new router that combines the two. Dlink AC5300 announce theirs and it will have 8x antennas.

If you don't have a lot of users or don't planning upgrade devices for awhile consider Asus 68u or P.
It has the best range and the firmware is more develop. The downside to that router is the USB 3.0 performance is not good, by default it's set to 2.0 to reduce wireless interference with the 2.4ghz band.
Other than that the router is very good. It has the newer software features(Ai protect/Adap QoS) of the newer routers.
http://www.asus.com/event/2014/network/ASUS_AC_family_chart/solutions.html

From Asus AC3200 (6x Antennas) is the lastest but is it the greatests? That will depend on your network needs. That has an extra 5ghz anntenna to offload traffic. If have alot of device then maybe consider it.

Asus AC87u ( 4x antennas)is suppose to be a MU-MIMO antenna designed router. Currently that function is disable. I guess you can call MU-MIMO the lastest and maybe the greatest. MU-MIMO is suppose to be at better handling multiple users at the same time and elminate lag by broadcasting simultaneously to all users. You'll need client devices that supports it. ATM no client device supports it.

Asus 3200 is for the now and Asus 87u is for the future.
There gonna a new router that combines the two. Dlink AC5300 announce theirs and it will have 8x antennas.

If you don't have a lot of users or don't planning upgrade devices for awhile consider Asus 68u or P.
It has the best range and the firmware is more develop. The downside to that router is the USB 3.0 performance is not good, by default it's set to 2.0 to reduce wireless interference with the 2.4ghz band.
Other than that the router is very good. It has the newer software features(Ai protect/Adap QoS) of the newer routers.
http://www.asus.com/event/2014/network/ASUS_AC_family_chart/solutions.html

Between the 3200, and the 87u, which has the most processing power + being fastest (CPU wise)?

Between the 3200, and the 87u, which has the most processing power + being fastest (CPU wise)?

Exact same CPU in both (BCM4709).

As previously mentioned, it's not a matter of one being newer than the other - they are both different designs meant for different usage scenarios.

Exact same CPU in both (BCM4709).

As previously mentioned, it's not a matter of one being newer than the other - they are both different designs meant for different usage scenarios.

According to this link they have different CPUs? Or is the link wrong?

My usage would currently be just for myself. I game, general internet surfing and email, watch Netflix/Stream, and have about 5-7 different wi-fi devices. Like I said I have an excuse opportunity to upgrade, hehe :)

EDIT: also a member said the 87u was the future? What hardware does it have that will be more "future proof" ?