What's new

One Large Switch VS Multiple Smaller Switches for Home Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ARAMP1

Occasional Visitor
I'm in the planning phase of setting up a home network and I'm looking for opinions.

I can use a large multiport switch and run multiple cat 6 cables to each room for the devices used or run one line between the router location and the room using two switches.

The advantage to using one switch would be that it's faster data transfer with the disadvantage being that you'd have to run multiple lines throughout the house.

Thoughts?

1 Switch.jpg
2 Switch.jpg

With a simple network topology (like what you've shown), I would opt for the cheaper and/or easier setup.

its better to have a bigger switch but a lot of routers have 4 LAN ports. You go for smaller switches to reduce cabling but you can run into bottlenecks as that single cable would be serving multiple devices.

If you have a large home network that requires multiple APs, you can use the wifi routers as switches too.

It is almost like a Windows vs Apple vs Unix debate.

I would say if you can run the extra cables. Yes, today & next month one cable can most likely handle multiple devices.

But, some point in the future you might have multiple items consuming lots of bandwidth.

A single switch is not faster in my experience. Not when a device is used by multiple other devices (for example; the ISP connection, for one).

This is also my experience (as long as there is no bottle neck). Some positives of a single switch VS multiple switches are:
> There are more failure points when using multiple switches
> Multiple switches use more power than a single larger switch (most of the time)
> Multiple switches can make diagnosing problems more difficult

That being said I have 6 switches in my house, lol. I have an older two story house and it was not practical for me to run ethernet lines through the walls. Since I don't use the coax in my house I ended up using the coax to carry ethernet to each room and then use switches to connect multiple devices.

I have ten Ethernet drops in my home but I have twenty one Ethernet connected devices. I avoid using WiFi wherever possible.

To make my setup work I have three unmanaged switches and an AP where I use the Ethernet ports.

its better to have a bigger switch but a lot of routers have 4 LAN ports. You go for smaller switches to reduce cabling but you can run into bottlenecks as that single cable would be serving multiple devices.

He doesn't have that many devices - so I'd recommend a bigger switch rather than a few small switches...

I was just using the picture to help explain what I was talking about (not that I have that many devices either way). But, a couple rooms with TVs and associated devices, an office with computer, printer, etc, 8 or so exterior security cameras (was thinking a separate POE switch for them). I'm sure there are some things I'm not thinking about. I would just rather wire things instead of use wireless when able. Like I said, just in the planning stages now. If you could do it up any way you wanted, and money really wasn't an concern, how would you do it?

Last edited:
I was just using the picture to help explain what I was talking about (not that I have that many devices either way). But, a couple rooms with TVs and associated devices, an office with computer, printer, etc, 8 or so exterior security cameras (was thinking a separate POE switch for them). I'm sure there are some things I'm not thinking about. I would just rather wire things instead of use wireless when able. Like I said, just in the planning stages now. If you could do it up any way you wanted, and money really wasn't an concern, how would you do it?

For devices that need to communicate at high speed, keep them on the same switch.

Really, even if you do it the cheapest, worst way, it will work fine, unless you have some very throughput intensive service like multi-gigabyte network backups to a NAS server.

For devices that need to communicate at high speed, keep them on the same switch.

Really, even if you do it the cheapest, worst way, it will work fine, unless you have some very throughput intensive service like multi-gigabyte network backups to a NAS server.

I use a couple of old 54G routers as switches and they work fine. I just remove the antennas, turn off WiFi and the DHCP function and the 54Gs work fine as 100 Mbps capable switches in places where I need to connect several devices without high bandwidth requirements to my network.

As for trouble shooting a network with multiple switches it isn't that tough. Most likely problem seems to be a failed power supplies. If replacing the wall wart doesn't fix the problem then I just get another 54G out of the closet and replace the suspect piece of equipment.

The best performance will come from a single switch.
It will also statistically decrease the chance of a failure, since there's only one point of failure between you and the router.
Trouble shooting is also simplified. Switch or not the switch.

The best part is you can always add more switches if you go with a single large one now.

Another generally sound rule of thumb is if you are running running 1 cable why not run 2 or even 4. Materials are cheaper than labor and you will pretty much never rerun cables if something goes bad (squirrels in the wall eating the line).

TL;DR Run as many cables to as few switches as you can fit/afford.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!