What's new

Only 286.8 Mbps DL after 1 hour of connection on 5 Ghz GT-AX6000 node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MrRojano97

New Around Here
This problem is giving me crazy and I don't know what to do now, there is a strange bug where all of my Apple devices (Macbook Pro 2021, iPhone 14 PM) connected to my GT-AX6000 node sets at 286.8 Mbps in Download Link Speed after about 1 hour. This only occurs on the node, in the Main Router (GT-AX6000 too) all is working normally.

The Router and the Node are running the latest Asuswrt-Merlin Stable Release (388.2_2). The problem started when the node was on a Stable Release (No-Merlin) from Asus, then I decided to update to Merlin try. I did a full reset to the Node too (pressing the WPS button method).

If the device reconnects to the WiFi (for example, turning off and on the WiFi Connection from the device or moving between the nodes) gets full speed again, but after a while gets stuck again at 286.8 Mbps.

I know when the problem is because in the list of connected devices appears as Download Link Speed 286.8 Mbps.
All of the devices are at 1 or 2 meters from the node without any wall.
The Upload Link Speed isn't affected.
My internet speed is 940 Mbps in Download and Upload.
When the Download Link Speed is normal, I usually gets 730 Mbps in the affected devices.

Thanks.

Captura de pantalla 2023-08-05 a la(s) 17.53.13.png

IMG_9596.PNG

Last edited:
How are your nodes connected (backhaul) to the main router? I am assuming wired as you can get very good speeds from the node when its got a good connection. My nodes are wifi backhaul and I would never get close to the 700Mbps you are able to achieve - so when It works, it is working great.

Do you have explicit beamforming enabled? and/or Airtime Fairness? You will find these settings in the wifi > professional page of the GUI. Turn both of these off for both 2.4g and 5g and restart nodes and main router. See if this helps.

My iphone gets a good tx/rx on a node but my bottleneck is the node wifi backhaul

1691362086173.png

I would also suggest that you do any testing optimisation using LAN network tools and apps (iperf). There is iperf on the router so you can get this running in server mode and then use any iperf tool/app to test the LAN. For best/consistent results using iperf, I think it is better to run iperf on a server (e.g. PC/RPI) connected via ethernet directly to the router.

Hope this is of some help.

Forgot to say that most people are reporting good things from the latest merlin beta 388.4 b2 and this has new wifi drivers. It might be worth updating both router and node to this and seeing if this resolves the issue.

How are your nodes connected (backhaul) to the main router? I am assuming wired as you can get very good speeds from the node when its got a good connection. My nodes are wifi backhaul and I would never get close to the 700Mbps you are able to achieve - so when It works, it is working great.

Do you have explicit beamforming enabled? and/or Airtime Fairness? You will find these settings in the wifi > professional page of the GUI. Turn both of these off for both 2.4g and 5g and restart nodes and main router. See if this helps.

My iphone gets a good tx/rx on a node but my bottleneck is the node wifi backhaul

View attachment 52189

I would also suggest that you do any testing optimisation using LAN network tools and apps (iperf). There is iperf on the router so you can get this running in server mode and then use any iperf tool/app to test the LAN. For best/consistent results using iperf, I think it is better to run iperf on a server (e.g. PC/RPI) connected via ethernet directly to the router.

Hope this is of some help.
Hi jata,

Yes, my node is connected via a 2.5 Gbps Ethernet Backhaul and my WiFi settings are in the next images.

After trying a lot of settings, enabling WiFi Agile Multiband seems to be a good workaround for this problem, 1 day after saving all settings and restarted the entire Network, my iPhone and Macbook are stables at 1200 Mbps Upload and Download Link Speed.

My entire setup is:

Movistar's Chile FTTH (1 Gbps) | ONT (HGU) Bridge Mode -> Internet PPPoE in VLAN 2 -> WAN 2.5 Gbps | GT-AX6000 (Office) | 2.5 Gbps LAN Port -> 2.5 Gbps TP-Link Switch (5 Ports) | Port from Switch -> GT-AX6000 (Bedroom) [Node with speed issues].

Thank you for your comment, hope is fixed in the new release but I can't update now because I run a server on my network and is critical to be online.

Captura de pantalla 2023-08-06 a la(s) 23.26.31.png
Captura de pantalla 2023-08-06 a la(s) 23.27.12.png
Captura de pantalla 2023-08-06 a la(s) 23.27.27.png

Hi jata,

Yes, my node is connected via a 2.5 Gbps Ethernet Backhaul and my WiFi settings are in the next images.

After trying a lot of settings, enabling WiFi Agile Multiband seems to be a good workaround for this problem, 1 day after saving all settings and restarted the entire Network, my iPhone and Macbook are stables at 1200 Mbps Upload and Download Link Speed.

My entire setup is:

Movistar's Chile FTTH (1 Gbps) | ONT (HGU) Bridge Mode -> Internet PPPoE in VLAN 2 -> WAN 2.5 Gbps | GT-AX6000 (Office) | 2.5 Gbps LAN Port -> 2.5 Gbps TP-Link Switch (5 Ports) | Port from Switch -> GT-AX6000 (Bedroom) [Node with speed issues].

Thank you for your comment, hope is fixed in the new release but I can't update now because I run a server on my network and is critical to be online.

View attachment 52192View attachment 52193View attachment 52194

It sounds like your 5ghz band is getting downgraded to a smaller channel width, possibly by DFS/Radar. So it is an issue of the client connection to the node and not the backhaul. Agile multiband combines bandwidth from 5ghz and 2.4Ghz to give you higher throughput so it is probably masking the issue somewhat.

Just a guess obviously, it could be some other issue with 5ghz. You should be able to see in the logs if it was radar related or if channel width was changed etc.