What's new

Ooma Telo VoIP service and Asus NAT acceleration - blinking red light fix

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tommyv2

Regular Contributor
Just making this thread in case someone runs into this in the future:

Recent builds of the Ooma firmware have issues with the NAT acceleration in Asus routers. You'll just get the blinking red logo forever, even though the device will be on the Internet just fine. Long story short - tons of troubleshooting, replacing Ooma hardware, etc, etc... all you have to do is turn of NAT acceleration on your Asus router. Tried every other setting you can think of - NAT loopback changes, port forwarding, UPnP, static IP, whatever.

Maybe either party will fix this one day, but for now, that's the fix.

I had this happen, I put the telo on the dmz. Once I did that and it connected correctly, I was able to take it back off of the DMZ and everything worked fine. Its like it just needed to connect to the ooma servers one time after a firmware upgrade on the ooma.

Just making this thread in case someone runs into this in the future:

Recent builds of the Ooma firmware have issues with the NAT acceleration in Asus routers. You'll just get the blinking red logo forever, even though the device will be on the Internet just fine. Long story short - tons of troubleshooting, replacing Ooma hardware, etc, etc... all you have to do is turn of NAT acceleration on your Asus router. Tried every other setting you can think of - NAT loopback changes, port forwarding, UPnP, static IP, whatever.

Maybe either party will fix this one day, but for now, that's the fix.

You help no one when you do not state what model of router you own.

Asus RT-AC87U, although I'm sure the problem could extend to other models since it's likely a Broadcom thing.

FWIW - was chatting with someone in another thread about Ooma and he was having issues - come to find that SIP-ALG being enabled was causing big-time issues with his Ooma - disabling that feature really helped things out - is there is switch in the Asus firmware that can be toggled to on/off for SIP-ALG?

sfx

FWIW - was chatting with someone in another thread about Ooma and he was having issues - come to find that SIP-ALG being enabled was causing big-time issues with his Ooma - disabling that feature really helped things out - is there is switch in the Asus firmware that can be toggled to on/off for SIP-ALG?

sfx

Found this for an Asus model on some other site, and also on this site quoted by Merlin.

nvram set nf_sip=0
nvram commit
reboot

Haven't been home to try it yet. Will report back. On the other hand, disabling NAT acceleration has actually made everything else more reliable for me. Before, goofy stuff like PSN, Netflix (Sony TV app) took a long time to get going. Now, instant... At my ISP's 50/50 FTTH plan, I suppose I don't need it enabled to get full speed. All I'm losing is CPU cycles from the router.

Haven't been home to try it yet. Will report back. On the other hand, disabling NAT acceleration has actually made everything else more reliable for me. Before, goofy stuff like PSN, Netflix (Sony TV app) took a long time to get going. Now, instant... At my ISP's 50/50 FTTH plan, I suppose I don't need it enabled to get full speed. All I'm losing is CPU cycles from the router.

I have Ooma and no issues on my RT-AC87R with nat acceleration turned on. When I flash my router I always disconnect everything but the PC I am using for flashing from it so I can't confirm that you have to power cycle the Ooma after the flash to get it to work.

Asus RT-AC87U, although I'm sure the problem could extend to other models since it's likely a Broadcom thing.

Must be an Ooma thing as I have Vonage which works perfectly on default setting with RT-N66U and a RT-AC56R.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!