What's new

Oops my network is exposed to hackers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

deepu007

New Around Here
Would appreciate any help on my home network. I have 2 routers (Asus RT-AC88u, Asus RT-N66u) and 1 switch (Netgear GS105Ev2). All of them are gigabit devices and Asus RT-N66u is my 3 year old router not connected to my network yet.

Attached is the picture of my home network. Current problem is that room1, room2 attached to my network don't have firewall unless the pc connected on these wires have soft firewall. I need to enhance my network so that I can introduce firewall. However I do not know the best way to achieve to it.

My plan is to replace the switch with router (which should have been how the network should be). I want to Asus RT-N66u as the first device on WAN (with wireless turned off - since my other router is covering all the house).

1.) Can we connect 2 routers to each other thru wired lines? Is there any setting I need to do,
2.) Do we need to use the switch any where in middle?

This is the first time I am doing this networking stuff. Thanks for helping in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0213.PNG
    IMG_0213.PNG
    173.7 KB · Views: 595
You can have the Asus RT-N66u (wifi turned off) in Router mode and the Asus RT-AC88u in AP mode, and connect this routers to each other thru wired line.

Why not skip the switch and use the ac88 as main router connected to the fiber modem?
If needed you can run a wire from the router to the switch to have additional ports

Verstuurd vanaf mijn A0001 met Tapatalk

Your diagram doesn't make sense. How are the PCs connecting to the switch getting internet? Does your fibre have multiple IP addresses?

The first thing after the fibre to ethernet conversion box should be a router. Everything else should be plugged in via that router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!