What's new

Openvpn Client and PPTP Client at same time

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pommes

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
i have an Asus RT-AC87U with Merlins Firmware:380.59
I have an openVPN client running to connect to a german server to stream german media and news.
The VPN provider also has a pptp server, which lets me connect to USA located streaming portals, they are blocked when i use the VPN providers USA openVPN servers.
What can i do to connect to that USA PPTP server and the german openVPN server at the same time?
When i connect to the pptpVPN, all my openVPN clients are disconnected. And the pptpclient does not let me use the nice policy routing feature included in Merlins openVPN.
Is there a way to have it both running for specific IP addresses?
Or is there a way to somehow transform the pptp user client into an openVPN client?
Sorry, i am not a pro, i hope you guys understand what i am talking about.
Thank you very much
Pommes

I found out, that PPTP via openVPN Client is not possible.
So is it possible , maybe with a script, to run openVPN and PPTP Clients at the same time?
And is it possible to only let one IP/client connect via PPTP(policy routing)?

PPTP lacks any policy routing support, so it would conflict with an OpenVPN client if you ran them at the same time. Unless you want to manually configure your routing tables, this is not possible.

PPTP lacks any policy routing support, so it would conflict with an OpenVPN client if you ran them at the same time. Unless you want to manually configure your routing tables, this is not possible.
Thanks. I have half a subnet on gernan openVPN (192.168.6.0/25)
All other clients connect without vpn. Is it possible to manually configure 4 IPs (192.168.6.250-254) to use the pptp or l2tp VPN at the same time? If so, how would I do it?
Thanks

All other clients connect without vpn. Is it possible to manually configure 4 IPs (192.168.6.250-254) to use the pptp or l2tp VPN at the same time? If so, how would I do it?

pfSense, Microtik, and EdgeRouters - this can be done - you're asking something that isn't really part of the design scope of a consumer based Router/AP intended for a home based network.

Thanks. I have half a subnet on gernan openVPN (192.168.6.0/25)
Thanks

You will have to read up on Linux's RPDB and how to configure it. Not something intended for novices, to be honest.

You will have to read up on Linux's RPDB and how to configure it. Not something intended for novices, to be honest.
I think I am gonna skip that part for now. Maybe during the long cold winter I will find some time to get familiar with that stuff:) thanks guys

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!